Thread: switch, switch back, same load?

Basic Member

switch, switch back, same load?

Have you more experienced barrel switchers dialed in a load for a particular barrel set-up, then changed barrels ...then changed back to the original, and found the original load specs still performed the same?

Is there a more repeatable barrel set-up procedure than just using the same headspace gauge each time?

Anyone using index marks on barrel, and receiver, (and nut?) to gain this repeatability?
    Jeff518

Re: switch, switch back, same load?

You could easily put index marks once you have the headspace set the first time around.You would have to scribe a fine line out past the end of the nut so you can check it once the nut is tight.When tightening you have to be aware that the barrel alwys moves alittle which ends up being slightly tighter haed space.As far as loads go they should repeat pretty well as headspace doesnt seem to goof with loads that much.Just take your time when switching back and forth and keep notes as to how you set it up.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

After I pull a barrel I will usually re-headspace it to a pc of fired(and not resized) brass from it, and just set it tight to that pc of brass. Then of course I double check it with my headspace gauges just for piece of mind...
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

rhbrink

Thats a interesting thought, I have a question? I'm about ready to change a Model 12 from a 308 over to a .223 almost have all the parts been reading and studying a lot. I also have and have been shooting a Encore in a .223 which was a problem child but finially got everything worked out and shooting very consistant groups. What I was thinking about would it be possible to head space the Savage .223 barrel to a shell fired from the Encore then check with go and no-go gages? Hoping to save changing the dies form one rifle to the next or even a possible setup where I might have to go to two different case sizing dies. I don't plan on using the same load in both rifles don't even have any need for that or want it. I'm just wanting to use the same resize die with the same setting in both rifles?

Basic Member

Interesting thread. I just changed back to my 220 swift barrel from my 243 rig on a target action. Well, I got lazy and bought another target action. This is my first time doing a set up and the info here is most helpful. I have everything set to as close to zero headspace as I can get. Go guage is easy, new brass is easy, but brass fired from prior 220 swift set up is tight and OAL is different. I think I may have a bit longer headspace before when the smith did the set up??? Does this sound right?? If so, I hope I am good to go now and just recalibrate some good loads.
    Question, if go guage is good, new full length brass is good, am I good???