Thread: 260 on stevens long action question

Basic Member

260 on stevens long action question

I have been reading the forums and seen lots of guys using the long action so they can seat the heavier bullets out further, but if one was to use the long action and go by the books on overall length would there be feed issues? the gun came as a 300 mag and it has the bolt head on it for that, being new to savages I was also wondering what exactly I would need to change on the bolt for the 260. Would I just need a new bolt head or do I need a new front baffle as well? thank you for any info.

james86

Re: 260 on stevens long action question

You would need a new bolt head. It's the same one for .308, .243, .22-250, etc. Here is the link, assuming your gun is right-handed.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=461219

Just make sure you get the bolt head for the long action because the long and short action bolt heads are different. You also need to remember the ejector pin, ejector, ejector spring, extractor, extractor detent ball, and extractor spring. That's where they get ya, it's only $20 for the bolt head but $2/piece for all those parts.

As for the feed issue, I'm working on a long action 6.5x55 Swede build right now which is very similar to the .260. From what I've heard, there is no feed issues or any other downsides to using a long action instead of short. The only difference, as you said, is you can have a longer OAL and still fit in the mag.

-James.

Basic Member

I think it would only be the bolt head, but i'm new to alot of this myself....however, i have a CBI barrel (from Jim Briggs) right now being fluted and having the freebore lengthened, and in a short action centerfeed stock and action, i found the max oal is right around 2.970 , alittle more if you want to crowd the last .010th's or so out of the mag.....checking that with a Sierra 140 gr SBT....it is not leaving much below the neck/shoulder junction...does not encroach on the body/shoulder jct......but it probably gives alot more options in a long action......rsbhunter
    If you stand for nothing, Then you'll fall for anything!

I've got a 260 built on a long 110 action...only tried loads to 2.78" (if I recall correctly) but there's no problem loading or feeding four rounds in the blind mag, with a fair bit more room to go for seating longer.

Basic Member

Thanks guys. Sounds like I will be using the long action.

I just screwed together as a test bed for 7mm-08 and it feeds more reliably than any gun of any manufacturer ever built.It is a late model centerfeed.What a delight.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!