Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Loading Bench Plans

Loading Bench Plans

Saw this on the web thought some would like it http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-Pr...50-bench/Print check it out

bgc

Re: Loading Bench Plans

http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/benchnrma.pdf

I built this one and could not be happier with it.

tenwalker

I built the same bench except I left more lip on the front edge of the top to make it easier to mount my press. I covered the top of the table with tempered Masonite (hard board), over the plywood top, for easier cleaning and deleted all the sliding doors and put in more movable shelves. Also put a 1" rim around the top of the cabinet to keep things from sliding off. This is the second one like this I have built and they work great.

Thats not a bad little bench Nelson. The bottom half is very similar to the bench I built to do my reloading on. I dont have a gun room yet so I made this bench so I can move it around wherever I need it, with the thought that I can just screw it to the wall once I get the room done. I like the lighting idea though, and may have to add that to mine.

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member

pdog06, how tall did you make you'rs?

I made mine 30", which is a standard table top height. It is perfect for using that kind of chair or a kitchen style chair, but if you plan to use a barstool to sit on then I would make it 42".

I actually have some thin sections of carpet to put on it to make it more comfortable but havent done it yet.

I have plans on making mine longer, or adding a higher section to it so I can also reload either standing or from a barstool. Just one of those many projects that works now and keeps getting put on the backburner, just like the gun room ::).
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

TOO Builder

I always like these topics about what people use for reloading benches. Allot of good plans and ideas. As for me I ended up going the easy route and didn't build mine. It was a CHEAP route though. I picked up this over sized office desk at a thrift store for $40. I was able to offset the top to one side so it gave me plenty room to mount my two presses and still have room to solid mount my trimmer. Lots of drawer space for brass and supplies.

You might as well make everyone drool and post a picture of the entire room....Then Hammer would have to start posting pics of his reloading bench(es).

I would love to see a closer pic of the 6th gun from the left if ya have one. I have wanted an exotic wood stock for one of mine for a while now, but just havent coughed up the $ yet...Could be cause there is none...LOL
    ~Clint Eastwood

TOO Builder

Sure, anything to get a chance at getting a peek at Utopia! Not nearly the machinery that Hammer has but it makes for a cozy place to enjoy my hobby. 15 ft. out the gray door is my shooting bench and 100 yard range. Makes it nice for load work as I can just load five for testing and shoot right away.

I did build my cleaning bench though. Just some 2x4's and a top made of malamine. Simple but effective.

You have probably seen this pic before. Sixth from the left is my 20Vartarg. Stock by Joel Russo out of figured walnut.

So were do you live that you can shoot behind your house??

TOO Builder

Middle of nowhere ND. Closest occupied farmstead is about 1 mile. Not much in the way of big city entertainment around here but when I read where allot of you guys have to drive a fair distance to the shooting range I feel VERY fortunate to be able to enjoy my hobby the way I can.

chj3

Loading Bench options

I like the modified desk.

I've used two approaches over the years:

-- A Sears mechanics cabinet, with a plywood top that extends over one side that allows the press to be attached w/o obstructing the drawers. Excellent if you need something that can be moved or stored in a closet. Drawers are strong enough to handle boxes of bullets and dies.

-- Half of a heavy-duty steel shelving set (originally 48" wide, 18" deep, 72" high) from CostCo, with a cut down kitchen counter top on it. The second half of the shelving set is my gun cleaning, etc. bench. Lots of storage on the two shelves under it.

dcloco

Very nice TOOBuilder. Nice layout, clean and crisp....I like it.

Today, I started arranging the garage. Most of the garage cabinets on one wall are set in place. 250 more boxes and I will be done.

Thanks for the pics Too Builder! I remember when you finished the cave, but couldnt remember what the finished room looked like. You did an outstanding job..

Same goes with the guns. I have seen your pic of that rifle a while ago. Is that a different wood alltogether, or the same as the lighter one and you just added stain? That is kinda about what I had in mind for a wood stock if I did one.
    ~Clint Eastwood

TOO Builder

Nope, no stain. I use straight tung oil on the figured wood stocks. You are probably thinking of the 20 Vartargs big brother, the curly maple 6.5x55AI. Here they both are basking in the warm sun.

thanks for making us drooool!
    ~Clint Eastwood

TOO Builder

No problem, glad you like them. We kind of strayed off topic from Balljoints original post but I'll say that it has been what I have read and learned right here on this site that has inspired me to build my rifles the way I want them.

Same goes with the reloading room and bench. I started with a bare "Cave" in my basement and slowly picked away at it. It didn't happen over night and there are still a couple finishing touches I would like to do.

Be it a dedicated room or a bedroom closet I think it is interesting see others setups and always get good ideas from them.

Quote Originally Posted by TOO Builder

Be it a dedicated room or a bedroom closet I think it is interesting see others setups and always get good ideas from them.
    agreed! Only problem about seeing everyone elses setups is that I want to spend money....LOL

Gordon, did you buy that bench kit yet? I'm gonna look around and see what extra wood i got layin around and try to upgrade mine a little bit. Nice rainy day project.
    ~Clint Eastwood

I don't mind anyone going off and showing their loading bench or man cave loading room, I'm using half of my garage for all my loading and gun work hard to take pictures as it's a little small to take a pic through the door wouldn't show everything.
    So show them man caves.

Quote Originally Posted by pdog06
    Quote Originally Posted by TOO Builder

agreed! Only problem about seeing everyone elses setups is that I want to spend money....LOL

Gordon, did you buy that bench kit yet? I'm gonna look around and see what extra wood i got layin around and try to upgrade mine a little bit. Nice rainy day project.
    now I want to go to Cabalas!!!!! I think I need a new hornady sonic cleaner!
    should be able to find a spot for it!

legs are WWII mil surplus and the rest is anything that would fit in the corner and provide storage.

.223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Adam K

I started out with one of those little Craftsman fold up work benches, but have since graduated to half of the basement. The only thing I mounted to the counter top is the press. I just built shelves under the stairs for the rest of the stuff.

I got a buddy to build me this gun rack which basically just turned into pellet gun storage so I have easy access when the rabbits invade the garden.

The other side of the stairs just has the safe (hopefully that will be plural soon) and some mounts.

showgun

ADAM:

Damn thats a large Ram! Im in Central washington and I've seen some nice rams but nothing with a double curl! Good looking mounts, and reloading room!

I was thinking the same thing when i saw the Ram. Dang nice one for sure!
    ~Clint Eastwood

If you don't want too build your own bench try this from Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/60-inch...nch-93454.html this was in an ad in my local paper with a 20% off Super Coupon have seen this coupon in many gun magazines including the new American Rifleman pg. 73.

Basic Member

One example of a reloading setup...

One example of a reloading setup…

None of this is for any commercial or productive operation.

It is simply one man’s hobby in his spare time.

All of it paid for by his own efforts (no gov’t dollars at work).

Have been playing around with this stuff for over forty years. Had my first bullet casting setup when I was 13. Had three horizontal SAS bullet swaging presses for calibers up to 458 by the time I was 16. Can make my own bullet jackets for about anything. And, yes, rimfire cases can be reloaded. And, contrary to the rumor mill and conventional wisdom, there is a 3-inch chambered 16 gauge.

Old six-cylinder 5-speed CJ is used to change targets which are setup out past one mile. One day will put a V8 in it to speed up the target changing process.

There’s about two dozen Dillon presses setup and over 150 Dillon tool heads

Though the Dillons can load up to 500 A-Square and 550 Magnum, the RCBS AmmoMasters fill in for semi-progressive loading of larger rounds.
    Think every brand and model of reloading tool and accessory made in the past 100 years is around here somewhere. Some custom made for trying a new idea.

Can load, shoot, and test year round from indoor bench.
    Can shoot, measure, make decisions, reload the exact same piece of brass with desired modifications, and shoot again in under a minute.

Sound reducing chamber allows me to test 50 calibers while the cowboys work with two-year-old colts in a round pen less than 200 feet away.

Each round fired is measured on seven independent chronographs in order to average out measurement error and to identify measurement outliers.

The range is a surveyed one mile. Has paper and automatic re-setting steel targets in multiple directions from the shooting bench. Shooter can choose whatever degree of crosswind he needs for a particular test.

This particular Savage has over 150 barrels ranging from the 14-221 Walker up through the 470 Capstick. Five complete bolt assemblies with different cartridge bolt heads. Also has half-dozen different stocks. And about a dozen scopes preset in detachable rings. Got to have the right equipment for whatever tests need to be done.

In rifles, currently load for hundreds of cartridges ranging from the 14-221 Walker up through the 585 Nyati. Similarly with handguns.

And field testing is essential…

A Comment about Handloading Bench Construction

Some of my benches are built of 2-inch square steel tubing welded together. They have 4 foot by 8 foot tops made of 1½ inch thick plywood with steel support every two feet. Under each loading press is a large piece of steel to spread the pressure before the bolts reach the washers and nuts. These benches are tall enough to work from standing up or with a high adjustable stool or chair.

Other benches are made with either 4 x 4 or 6 x 6 posts for legs. Edge, cross bars, and other supports are 2 x 8’s. The tops once again are 1½ inch thick plywood. Lots of glue, long screws, and nuts and bolts hold them together. These benches are a little shorter and use Dillon strong mount to raise the presses.

Yet other benches are made by using two sets of Gorilla Racks together to form the legs for a 4 x 4 foot top made of 1½ inch plywood.

Make a bench that is solid by design and construction without any need of added weight. Make one that will not be shaken by dropping a Big Block V8 on it. Then add weight to the shelves in the form of lead shot or bullets. Make something that requires a big diesel to budge it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast