Thread: scout in 7.62x39 anyone actually seen one avail? I can't find one.

Basic Member

scout in 7.62x39 anyone actually seen one avail? I can't find one.

So I was going to re-barrel a gun with a 7.62x39 barrel (.308 bore) but after talking to the barrel maker and getting the price I thought well I will look at getting a Scout. Unfortunately no one has one avail, can't find one at all! Have any of you seen this gun (in person) for sale? prices? Tell the truth now did you guys buy them all up?
    Thanks

Basic Member

Re: scout in 7.62x39 anyone actually seen one avail? I can't find one.

59 views and no one?

smitty

I'm interested in the same rifle but haven't found any posgs from owners.

I like the caliber, cheap price but decent capability out to my shooting limit.

I'm trying to decide between the savage and the CZ 527 carbine.

I am trying to get one for a review. Not yet though.

Basic Member

Give savage a call....find out how much a barrel will cost direct from them or where a stocking dealer is that has a scout.

smitty

That's a thought, will one of those barrels thread into a Stevens 200 receiver?

I don't care for the scout rail, i just want a bolt gun in this caliber.

Basic Member

You cannot buy a barrel direct from savage
    Silence is golden.... duct tape is silver!!

smitty

I'm going to try calling Savage and ask if this rifle was designed for shooting the russian surplus ammo. If it can't feed and extract it reliably then there's not point in owning it. I hope to see some reviews soon but I'd like to order it soon but I don't want any negative surprises.

I read that the bore dia of the CZ 527 cambered for this caliber is 0.311".
    I was told by Barnes that their bullets for this caliber are 0.310".
    I read on several boards that the CZ doesn't shoot the Barnes bullets accurately as the cheap surplus ammo.
    The original Mini-30 had a bore of 0.308" but they later changed it to 0.310".

The questions I have for this rifle are:
    - what's the bore dia?
    - is it designed to feed and extract Russian surplus ammo?
    - will it be accurate with the lead free Barnes bullets?

rhbrink

I hope that you find some answers I'm thinking about one myself. If you do get a reply form Savage please let the rest of us know. I would appreciate it myself.

Senderofan

Quote Originally Posted by smitty
    I'm going to try calling Savage and ask if this rifle was designed for shooting the russian surplus ammo. If it can't feed and extract it reliably then there's not point in owning it. I hope to see some reviews soon but I'd like to order it soon but I don't want any negative surprises.

I read that the bore dia of the CZ 527 cambered for this caliber is 0.311".
    I was told by Barnes that their bullets for this caliber are 0.310".
    I read on several boards that the CZ doesn't shoot the Barnes bullets accurately as the cheap surplus ammo.
    The original Mini-30 had a bore of 0.308" but they later changed it to 0.310".

The questions I have for this rifle are:
    - what's the bore dia?
    - is it designed to feed and extract Russian surplus ammo?
    - will it be accurate with the lead free Barnes bullets?

Yes...The 7.62x39 round is .310 bore...Not the same .308 that we all think of with the 7.62x51 or .308 Win. I suspect .308 bullets would not give the best possible accuracy running down a .310 bore.

Wayne

Eric in NC

Would bet even money that none have even shipped yet.

Basic Member

From what I've heard on other forums it will be a .308 bore but it will feed the cheap russian stuff. Much like ruger did with the mini30 it will have a forceing cone or throated chamber.
    I had an older mini 30 and it shot all ammo just fine. No problems with the gun or accuracy just didn't have a use for it so it got traded.
    On a side note:
    I am planning on buying a chamber adapter for my 308 to shoot 7.62x39

Quote Originally Posted by rjsixgun

On a side note:
    I am planning on buying a chamber adapter for my 308 to shoot 7.62x39
    you may have extraction problems with the smaller rim on the 39 case. at least I did.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

thomae

I asked the groove diameter question on a (this?) forum a few months ago and was assured that savage uses .308 barrels. (I didn't bookmark the thread, and now I can't find it).
    One of my local gun shops (Belding & Mull, Philipsburg, PA) has the .308 scout in stock and let me play with it. They could order me a 7.62 x 39 one for about 620 or 630, here within a week.
    I am also debating between that and the CZ carbine. He has the CZ in stock (in .223, of course) and it shoulders really nicely, and the set trigger is the cat's meow (not sure how useful it would be in the woods for a fast shot) . I like the ghost rings on the savage (would that I could move them over to the CZ?) and the ability to switch barrels if I get tired of x39. I am looking for something to carry through the woods for whitetail deer. I think either of these would be ideal.

Dicks Sporting Goods can also special order either of these rifles in 7.62 x 39. Perhaps I should get both?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by thomae
    I asked the groove diameter question on a (this?) forum a few months ago and was assured that savage uses .308 barrels. (I didn't bookmark the thread, and now I can't find it).
    One of my local gun shops (Belding & Mull, Philipsburg, PA) has the .308 scout in stock and let me play with it. They could order me a 7.62 x 39 one for about 620 or 630, here within a week.
    I am also debating between that and the CZ carbine. He has the CZ in stock (in .223, of course) and it shoulders really nicely, and the set trigger is the cat's meow (not sure how useful it would be in the woods for a fast shot) . I like the ghost rings on the savage (would that I could move them over to the CZ?) and the ability to switch barrels if I get tired of x39. I am looking for something to carry through the woods for whitetail deer. I think either of these would be ideal.

Dicks Sporting Goods can also special order either of these rifles in 7.62 x 39. Perhaps I should get both?
    Check with alen boyer of boyers gunshop in slatinton.....he is a savage dealer and can get them factory direct.
    Ps phillipsburg is nj not pa.........lol

thomae

Quote Originally Posted by rjsixgun
    Check with alen boyer of boyers gunshop in slatinton.....he is a savage dealer and can get them factory direct.
    Ps phillipsburg is nj not pa.........lol
    [font=Verdana]I am sure there are many towns in many states with similar names. However, Philipsburg (Check your spelling, only 1 "L"), PA is still in Central Pennsylvania and hasn't moved to flood-prone New Jersey just yet.

I did have to look up Slatinton on google maps...there appears to be only one, and it too is in PA.

I am not sure where Rover31, (the OP) lives. So far, however, his premise seems to hold. No one on the forum admits to actually holding a scout in 7.62 x 39. ???

Basic Member

You would think with all that flooding between the delaware and the lehigh river that easton would get cleanded!!!! Nope not yet! Lol

But yes slatington is in pa..its its called boyers hardware or gunshop. Alen is a great guy to deal with he got my rifle in about 3 days.

Basic Member

Sorry I haven't replied in a while, the local shops have not had a distributor with one available.
    When I called Savage I was told .308 bore. Perfect for my reloading needs.
    The answer to my mad desires are being answered in the form of a rechambered .30 cal barrel.
    I'll let you know how it works out.