I went to install a new one piece rail mount scope on my rifle today and noticed that the front of the receiver is milled lower than the rear. The rifle is a 10 FCP HS that I purchased new about a month ago. If I put a straight edge on top of the rear of the receiver there is about .027"-.028" clearance at the front . The front and rear of the receiver are milled parallel but on a different plane. I can not understand why this would be designed this way, it makes no sense. The mount was made as if to fit a receiver that is milled on the same plane and I have not seen any descriptions by any manufacturers that indicate anything different other than "Round Rear" or "Flat Rear". Has anyone else noticed this on their rifle? I discovered this too late to call Savage today, but I will be calling them tomorrow and see what they say.

Update: 3/29/11
I got the rifle back yesterday and am pleased with the result. They replaced the receiver and this one is level and true. They also included a test target with a .7 moa 5 shot group.
Kudos to Savage for making it right!