Thread: New barrel question?

jlgwiz

New barrel question?

I ordered and received my new McGowen barrel. When I went to clean it, I got patches that were a reddish brown in color. Is this just a preservative put in the barrel for shipping?

Re: New barrel question?

probably just cutting oil or just an oil they run thru it when theyre done. Ive seen it in a couple of mine as well, but you should clean it anyway before you fire it, and you did, so all is good.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Huskyflier

Hi,

I am a newbie here on the forum. However, I used to blue guns for a hobby. The bluing process is really a rusting process. When the barrels are blued they are dipped in an oil bath to stop the rusting process. The interior of the barrel is blued along with the outside. I used to run a few patches thru the barrel to remove any rust and to prevent it from rusting further, When you shoot the barrel it will eventually wear off the blueing in the bore. What you are seeing is just minor surface rusting. It should come clean with a few patches soaked in Hoppes and a few follow up patches till it comes clean. A patch with light oil should take care of it after that.

Dave

CRNA

My McGowan was the same way. Had "trash" all in the barrel. I just used a wet patch/oil and it cleaned up just fine.

jlgwiz

Thanks for the replies. I have it cleaned and now all the parts are in so next weekend I get to put it together. Feel like a kid at Christmas time, just cannot wait for the day to get here.