Thread: Bell and carson medalist

Bell and carson medalist

IS this stock good, bad, or indifferent. Just wanting some opinions. I want a Boyds thumbhole but I just read it will be a few months before it comes out. I have a boyds tundra thumbhole now but I think I may get better accuracy out of the metal bed in the Bell.

Re: Bell and carson medalist

I have one and its a nice stock for the money it wasn't a drop in but close I didn't shoot it without bedding the action first though. I like it better for shooting off a rest or sandbags.
    I like the HS pro 2000 (just like the LRPV) stock much better for a varmint gun I shoot off sticks more than a bipod and this stock just works better for me, plus both HS stagge feed stocks that I have were just drop in's even with the RB SAV II trigger on the gun. Stockys just had them on sale which made them a little closer in price to the B&C

kdvarmint

I recently bought one. Mine dropped right in, good fit. Only shot off the bench so far and it is comfortable. Can't say it made much difference in accuracy although I didn't bed it either. Some have recommended to do so. So far I like it. Still playing with action torque. Interested to hear how others set theirs up.

Quickshot

I bought a B&C Medalist and dropped in my Mod. 12 action. I will need to get higher scope rings to be able to get a good cheek weld on the stock. I don't like to lean so far over to try to eye ball the scope. My other stocks have adjustable combs but the medalist doesn't. The only way I see to come at it is to raise the scope. Also looks as though the recoil lug could be bedded for a better contact. In spite of all that the rifle shot its usual 100 yd cloverleaf with 36gr varmint grenades as if no change from the other stock. .223. I think that mod 12 would shoot the same way if you just laid the barrled action on a rest and shot it. Ha! my .02 Quick

helotaxi

I liked my first one enough that I bought a second. Both drop-ins.

DougMH

I use a Bell and Carlson Medalist. I would suggest that if you get one, get it from B & C and get a removable butt plate. If you get it from Midway USA like I did, it will likely have the butt plate glued on rather than screwed on. Makes it hard to add weight to the stock or mount an adjustable recoil pad. Also, B & C does not make an adjustable cheek piece for the Medalist. In fact, here's their terse response to my inquiry, "We make no adjustable for the Savage."

I think if I had to do it over again, I spend a bit more and try the Choate Tactical Custom Package Savage Short Action Centerfeed Feed Stock - Tactical. Of course, that's the correct one for my rifle, maybe not yours. Here's a link to what it looks like. It has vertical and horizontal butt plate adjustment and cheek piece adjustment.

https://secure.riflestock.com/catalo...0&NewProduct=0

Again, this is the one for a Savage 10 short action centerfeed with 4.410" between centers. You may have to look around the site for yours. There's sure a lot more variety out there for Reminton 700 type actions than Savage.