Thread: Stock options for SA center feed

Maxxwell86

Stock options for SA center feed

I have a couple of question before I finalize my action purchase.

I wanted to build a 260 remington on a short action but it seems B&C doesn't make a center feed stock.

What are my options for aftermarket stocks that accept center feed DBM and bottom metal?

Would I be losing anything in real world functionality by building on a stagger feed SA (or LA for that matter) instead of the center feed?

I guess if I abandon the CF idea I could even go left port/right bolt single shot. Anyone have any experience in speed and function of this vs. CF/SF magazines?

My main interest is in being able to have a reasonably quick follow up shot.

Basic Member

Re: Stock options for SA center feed

B & C makes the Medalist in Short Action Center Feed, sold by Discount Shooters, Stockeys, etc. Stockeys has several laminated stocks for SACF, I have the Heavy Varmint Thumb Hole.

One Shot, One Kill ! :)

Maxxwell86

Excellent ;D

The medalist is the one I was looking at. I am glad to be wrong ::)

Maxxwell86

Just got done checking Stocky's and there is a * note that says ALL Savage stocks are blind magazines.

So, we are back to the original question of what is available in center feed DBM stocks for Short actions?

helotaxi

I assume going to a blind mag is not appealing?

How much you willing to spend? There are several options that involve a custom inlet for the DBM bottom metal and a few that do not need bottom metal. None of them are inexpensive.

Maxxwell86

The DBM is #1 feature I need. I will be shooting at varying distances from 300 to 1000yds during the same session and want to be able to switch between loads for the best balance between bc and accuracy I can work up for those distances.

So far I have checked, MacMillan, Boyd's, B&C, SSS, Stockade, Choate and Hogue. Looks like the Choate tactical is the only non sporter style that comes ready to accept CF DBM at this time unless I want inlet a wooden one myself.

I have time on this build so hopefully by the summer more will be available. If not I can live with the Choate.

bodywerks

I have a brand new sharpshooter supply LVT stock set up for factory centerfeed bottom metal that I'm looking to get rid of. Pm if interested.

dmack

H-S Precision:

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...e-stock/Detail
    PSV118 Savage 12, 10FP Heavy Barrels, 4.40" Screw Spacing, Detachable / Hinged Magazine version.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...ies-M24/Detail
    PST114 Savage 12, 10FP Heavy Barrels, new 4.40" Screw Spacing, Detachable Magazine version

helotaxi

Full custom is also an option:

http://www.xlrindustries.com/index.html

http://www.pdccustom.com/

That's why I asked about budget. My PDC will arrive tomorrow.

Maxxwell86

Some good options out there after all. Thanks for the links

Full custom is probably out of the ball park. I can only go around $1500 including the glass unless I wait til later in the year.

Basic Member

Also, look @ rifle-stocks.com

Maxxwell86

Also, look @ rifle-stocks.com
    Interesting place for U finish stocks, thanks. Couldn't find any info on whether their Savage models are inletted for bottom metal. I could inlet that part myself, I did do this

[img width=600 height=450]http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz211/meking86/100_0424.jpg[/img]

but I don't enjoy wood working as much as metal working.

Basic Member

Buddy, with skill like that you are easily capeable of inletting a DBM into a stock ! Jim

HogFan4Ever

Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch
    B & C makes the Medalist in Short Action Center Feed, sold by Discount Shooters, Stockeys, etc. Stockeys has several laminated stocks for SACF, I have the Heavy Varmint Thumb Hole.

One Shot, One Kill ! :)
    I can't speak for any of the others, but there is no way I would ever order anything from Stocky's. I ordered a SA CF Long range Thumbhole Varmiter stock from them over 6 weeks ago, they sent me the wrong color, and completely wrong stock. They sent me the LRV hart stock and also didn't send me the Pillars that I ordered. After calling 4 times and emailing 3 times, (Every time I called I was told someone would call me back and of course they never did, the WORST customer service I have ever seen) I finally told the lady on the phone that I wanted to talk to someone now, After being on hold for 12 minutes I finally talked to a lady and she told me they would send me a return lable and when they got it back they would send me the right stock. That was 3 weeks ago. I have now made 3 more phone calls as well as emailed them twice and was told everytime by the "Aswering service" that there was no one that could help me and that they would call me back. I am now emailing the BBB and the states Attorney Gerneral. I am fed up with this and now all I want is my money back and I will order a real stock from SSS!!!!!!!! By the way, I suggest doing a little research on them on the net because I have done so and it seems a lot of people are having this same problem.

Hogfan, I hear that, I am still waiting on my pillars from my order that was placed over 2 weeks ago. Same deal as you, call and talk to the "Answering Service" and sent emails. I have gotten 2 calls back, both times from "Sales Staff" members. When I tell them my issue they say I need a Customer Service Rep and that they will have one of them call me, and then have the nerve to ask if I want to place another order. Been over 7 days since the last "sales call" and still no call from Customer Service and no Pillars.

Here is a quote from the confirmation email they sent me when I placed my order......

As you can see your entire experience is very important to us - communication is the key to a happy customer!
    Thank you again for your business, don't be a stranger!

- Stocky
    Communication is the key, I am doing my part, where the heck are you at Stocky???

Just beware of the issues that people are having with Stockys before you order.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member

I will buy your action so you can get the one you want.

mike8605

I had same issue with Stockys i called 3 times a day for a week and they kept telling me they would call me back with in 24 hours. Finally after 2 weeks they called me back.

I'm having the same trouble with SSS. I called every day last week to try and order a fluted bolt body and botl handle and no answer. Anyone know whats up with that?

MIke

Toyoda

I also had the same issue with Stockys. They sent me the wrong stock, wanted me to pay to send it back. They sent me the return label and I sent that stock out, *should have the correct stock on the way*.
    My stock ended up on the other side of the states, that guy contacted me.
    Mulitiple calls, emails, etc. No customer service.

Maxxwell86

Sounds like I will avoid Stock's like the plague.

Not sure what is up at SSS. Probably trying to handle all the "Tax refund" orders that came in.