Thread: 110 trigger problem

jdr308

110 trigger problem

Hey guys, Long time savage shooter but new member here. A few years ago I bought a savage 110 in a 270. Its an older gun, and I only bought it for the action. A couple weeks ago I got it out of the safe and was going to change the trigger in it and get it ready to use. The trigger I got for a 110 looks nothing like the one in my older action. It is a 110 trigger I compared it with a few others that I have. Ive been told this may be a J frame.???? I have no idea if this is the truth or just local gun shop B.S. Anyway- Im lost here and would sure like to get this action into use, any help would be greatly appreciated.

ellobo

Re: 110 trigger problem

If your other Savages are Stevens and realatively new they will have a slightly different trigger, 2 screw instead of three screw adjustment. There is such a thing as a "J" frame, It was made when Savage used long action 110 rifles with mods to the bolt and magazine to handle short action cartridges. Yours is a real long action with that .270. Receiver will have a flat rear receiver requiring a different scope base than later all round recievers. Weaver still makes them, I have one. My old "J" frame has a standard 3 screw Savage Trigger on it.
    El Lobo.

It could be from the early 1959-1965 actions. Here's a link with some pictures.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,21960.0.html

"Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

82boy

Savage has gone through a few different trigger designs, and at one point and time installed SSS triggers and Jard triggers in the higher end guns. There is no J frame actions. but some people call the first generation short actions a "J" series action because many of them had a j prefix to the serial number. The j series guns used the same trigger as the others made during the same time period.

Basic Member

If it has a 5 digit serial # it will be the old style trigger....discontinued in 1966.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

jdr308

Geargrinder, Your link was very helpfull.!!! yes my trigger looks just like the one in that illustration.. Is there any hope for replacing this thing?? It is a 4 digit serial number if that makes any differenc..

You can swap in an entire new trigger assembly. The bolts are different too. Search some of my posts. I posted dome picture a while back showing the bolt differences.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

jdr308

I may just use a different action and avoid the headache.. Are the early actions collectible/worth anything? I wish i would have done my homework before buying this action.

about the only thing collectable in savage bolt action 110s would be an engraved presentation or premier model.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

MNbogboy

As "luck" would have it I too unknowingly picked up one of these pre 66 actions from a pawn shop for $25...it came in a box...With a $25 stock factory bolt body from SSS, a new bolt head and associated small parts, a Bell & Carlson Duramax and a Douglas barrel from SSS....this antique shoots about 1/2 MOA with that old stock trigger...

The trigger will adjust down to about 3 or so lbs without any modification but a little stone work on the sear brought mine down to about 2-1/2...The last time on the bench it shot 1.6 at 300 yards.....Also I did fit a Timney on it but you will need all the safety parts and a sear from a newer action.....I found the stock trigger almost as good as the Timney so I put the stock trigger back on and used the Timney on another build....The pre 66 trigger has three adjustment screws and is definitely adjustable for sear engagement, over-travel and pull weight.....

I removed the stock magazine and ejector pieces and replaced them with a single shot follower that I fabricated from aluminum plate...

Wish I could find some more actions at that price...

Good luck