This is my first question, but I have been reading for a while now. This is a great forum with alot of knowledge to be gained. Thank you in advance for your patience and info.
I have a model 16 large shank action originally 300 WSM with push feed bolt. I am converting to 260 REM. I am making the 300 WSM on another action, there is a reason for this but it is not relevant to my question. I ordered a standard bolt head for the 260 and when I installed it...well now I have a problem I am not sure I have read about here. I know that the short mags have a bolt head with "LONGER" bolt lugs, I had to adjust the firing pin protrusion to account for this. I set it at 0.052 to fall into the suggested 0.050-0.055 range. (I had never done this but I figured it out thanks to alot of thread reading here) My first question is: How do you know how much to thread in or out the rear piece on the firing pin cocking piece? I hope you know what I mean as I am not sure of proper nomenclature I just threaded it enough to allow assembly, but it looks like the more or less you thread it then the more or less firing pin spring tension you will have.
My next question involves the bolt itself. I ordered a fluted bolt from SSS to replace the factory bolt body. I also have a new bolt handle from stockade. I assembled the new bolt handle on my original bolt and all worked well with no problems. When I assembled everything with the new bolt body I could not get the bolt to close. I removed the rear baffle and everything works fine, bolt closes,firing pin falls just fine. It looks like the bolt will not engage the last little bit because the cocking ramp on the rear baffle is not allowing the final 1/16 inch of travel, when the baffle is installed. It also appears the fluted bolt body I got from SSS is a wee bit shorter than my original bolt body. I have been beating my head on the wall trying to decide wether I have done something wrong, but the rear baffle only goes on properly one way. Has anybody seen this problem before? How did you fix it? I can remove some material from the baffle to make it work, but I would rather know from you guys before I modify it because it will be permanent.
Sorry for long post but I wanted to give the full story for scrutiny in case something is wrong. Also the action is left handed.
Thank you all for your help and patience!

Bassman