Thread: Timney Trigger

Savage_Jake

Timney Trigger

Last spring I built a .260 using a 111 action. I replaced the factory non-accutrigger with a SSS comp trigger. I will say, I absolutely hated it. I'm not even going into the complaints I had about the trigger. It's neither here nor there. I recently replaced the SSS with a Timney. All I can say is WOW! It's clean, crisp, no creep, no over travel. The description says 2-4 pounds. I used my RCBS gauge and it read 1.7 pounds. I highly recommend this trigger.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=223896

ellobo

Re: Timney Trigger

It is recognized by everyone here that the SSS trigger is the best Savage triggers around. I think all of us who read your post would love to hear ab out your troubles, especially Fred at SSS. I know I would.
    El Lobo

Uncle Jack

Me too. I have a couple. Que problemos?

uj

pphreed

Not all of us here agree that sss trigger is the best . I have both versions of the rifle basix trigger and I like the sav 2 better than the the sss . It is a bit more expensive but you get it when you order it and don't have the hassle of trying to get in touch with sss and not getting accurate info when you do .

Savage_Jake

Quote Originally Posted by ellobo
    It is recognized by everyone here that the SSS trigger is the best Savage triggers around. I think all of us who read your post would love to hear ab out your troubles, especially Fred at SSS. I know I would.
    El Lobo
    I have a real hard time believing this statement. But ok. The problems I had with the SSS trigger were creep, over travel, and the fact that was loose in the housing. There were also machine marks on the trigger which tells me QC was over looked.

If I set it to where there was no over travel, I could not get the bolt release to work. So I constantly had 1/16" of over travel. Needless to say, I felt that it was a poor design. Once I had the Timney installed and set, I had not one issue with any of the above problems. You can flame all you want. This is my opinion and I feel there are better options out there.

I have some timney's on hunting rigs and I love them. I never shot with an SSS and I don't shoot competition so I can't judge the 2 but for my purposes I am very happy with the Timney's.
    But then I also like the Accutriggers quite a lot.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Uncle Jack

No flames from me. I'm just trying to understand the problem.

".....If I set it to where there was no over travel, I could not get the bolt release to work. So I constantly had 1/16" of over travel."

That really doesn't sound right. I can put up with some problems, but a trigger that does not work ain't one of them. Have you mentioned the problem to SSS? If it were me, I send it back for repair, replacement, or refund.....providing you bought it from them and not second hand. After a couple of unpleasant suprises, I will never buy another second hand trigger again from anyone I don't know.

uj

Basic Member

Are you talking about sear engagement or over travel?

I don't think it is physically possible to implement "0" zero over travel.

The trigger would have to stop exactly when the sear broke.

You need to have some margin after the sear breaks before the trigger stops to have a reliable trigger.

It doesn't need to be much, but there has to be some.

Larrymc27

My Mod. 11 7mm-08 came with the accu-trigger, I chose to exchange it with a SSS thinking I could improve trigger adjustment. that was 6 one way half a dozen the other. as far as an overall better trigger on a savage I think you cant beat an SSS. that said I have a rem. mod. 700 adl and a S&W action that have been fit for a Timney. I really think You should express your feelings to the company, your not gonna get anything from the guys here. We all own and shoot, successfully, SSS triggers. You might also look at the person installing the trigger. In my experience most problems with premium products have been user error. That's why I replaced the accu trigger. and only realized my error when A good friend of mine put it on his rifle and pointed out my error. to the tune of the 500m gong I couldn't hit previously.

My $.2
    Larry Mc