Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most adjustable scope for the money

Basic Member

Most adjustable scope for the money

I currently have just assembled a sav.12 in .223 installed a 20moa base for the long shots need help with a scope. I put my 4200 on it snagged off my 30-06 for load testing I didnt wana get a bunch of money in the gun and then find out it wouldnt shoot. Problem is my 4200 is a mil-dot. fit right on and bolted up. BUT zeroed @100 yards puts me on the very top mil-dot on 12x which is fine for loading purposes. I need a variable power scope that has at least 60moa. elevation. I understand you get what you pay for all too well, but i know that in nonlife and death situations. sometime (not all the time) there is a decient compromise. I would like a bigger scope as it is going to be a pd shooter, yet i need it to come back to the 100 yard line for hunting coyotes and such. Im Not interested in the fixed 10 that everyone loves. Im young but always have had to have glasses i like to see what im shootin at then if i miss it was my fault. lol< may go witha 10x now that i think of it. THE question is does anyone know of a good scope less than 5 or 600 bucks less is better that would be capable of doing the above adjusting? if so personal experience with that particular scope and how well it held up, Im not going to throw the gun off a mountain but it needs to be repeatable. Thanks in advance. and thanks for the egw base idea fit like a glove and looks cool taboot.
    couple of savages

Basic Member

Re: Most adjustable scope for the money

One of the most adjustable scopes I&#39;ve ever seen was the Bushnell elite 6500 4.5-30x50. I&#39;ve seen them on here go for $550. Usual cost though is about $700.

Best scope for the money IMO is the Vortex brand of scopes. Can&#39;t go wrong with them.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member

Thanks for the speedy reply. I do love my 4200 the glass the way it looks and feels. I dont shoot everyday so 2k is out of the question. But i do hunt alot and i have looked at the 6500 and its more amazing that my 4200 which blows me away. I will try to get ahold of one. because i have had nothing but good luck with my bushnell i would never recommend a lower than 3200 to anyone because quality isnt there, but they hit a homer with their new line then quite makinem. IF IT AINT BROKE DONT SCREW WITH IT. have you had any experience with the vortex line of rifle scopes? ive heard good and bad. the pst&#39;s are supposidly gods gift to budget shooters while the crossfires lack a bit.?
    couple of savages

Basic Member

If you go with a straight power check out the new sightron siii ,they make a 10,16,20 x and have like 150moa of adj and they are in your price range.
    I have a 6500 4.5-30 and a siii 8-32 and the sightron has BETTER glass
    112,223,choate uv,nikon 6-18<br />lrpv,204,hs stock,sightron S3 6-24x50<br />12 target,McGowen 6mmbr,SSS hbr,Sightron S3 8-32<br />Mark II,22lr,thumbhole,Tasco 6-24x40<br />11 youth,243,Simmons 2.5-10x50<br />116fcss 30-06<br />12fv,204,VX-3 4.5-14x50

Basic Member

I have bought a lot of Leupold Veri-X-lll in both 4.5X14 and 6.5X20 with A.O. Between $400.00-$500.00 the way to bid is figure out how much the most you are will to pay then wait until the last 20 seconds then place your bid. You will be surprised how many you win and for less than you wanted to pay. I have bought over 25 in the pasted 2 years and some I got the deal of the year. In my opinion the Veri-X-models are far better than the newer VX models(the glass is better in the Veri-X&#39;s). The reason for this is the VX models their glass was made in China and on the Veri-X models was made else where.

Basic Member

I put a Vortex 3-9X40 scope on my brother&#39;s 30-06 that I built for him. I am very impressed with the quality glass for the very little he paid for it. I would give a good look at them before you make your decision.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

z71rat

If you have any desire for a fixed power scope, you might want to check out the SWFA Super Snipers. They come in 10x, 10x with side focus, 10xHD, 16x, and 20x. Very reliable scopes, and the basic models are $299, and have always had a superb resale value!! SWFA&#39;s customer service is awesome as well.

DK

vortex Crossfires (6-24x50) with the 30mm tube have an advertised range of 75moa for ~$200.

*disclaimer* I have no experience with these.

helotaxi

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo88mm
    vortex Crossfires (6-24x50) with the 30mm tube have an advertised range of 75moa for ~$200.

*disclaimer* I have no experience with these.
    The cheap one with the 1" tube has a large adjustment range and the best glass you&#39;ll find for less than $300.

do those crossfires hold up very well. i am thinking of getting one for my 7stw. i currently put a 8- 32 power scope on my 243 ai and it makes shooting distance so easy for me. i was wondering if it would hold up to a magnum or if it would be better suited for a smaller caliber?

Team Savage

Link

http://www.6mmbr.com/optics.html

There is one that has like 100 but cant remember.

shaman

MIllett LRS-1 has 120 or 140 MOA, and I got mine used for $350

shaman,
    how long have you had it? does it work well for you? hows the repeatability?

shaman

haven&#39;t mounted it yet. Not enough hours in two weeks to get everything done in the USA.

i am thinking of one of the viper pst&#39;s anyone else have one of these in the higher powers

pizzabox

Quote Originally Posted by z71rat
    If you have any desire for a fixed power scope, you might want to check out the SWFA Super Snipers. They come in 10x, 10x with side focus, 10xHD, 16x, and 20x. Very reliable scopes, and the basic models are $299, and have always had a superb resale value!! SWFA&#39;s customer service is awesome as well.

DK
    I&#39;ve had two SS. Both bad. 1st one with spherical aberration with slight barrel distortion and chroma. Also would not hold a group. 2nd one. clearer, but all over the place. Same mount, same rifle, went with a Kahles(Swarovski) and never looked back. IMHO, you get what you pay for with scopes.

Basic Member

Pizza, I agree 100% but some, (most) times funds and time wont allow what we want, or at least in my situation. I started this post because my 4200 didnt have enough elev. with a 20moa. rail to zero at 100 which with a pd trip coming up i just recently bought a BSA tacticle. dont yell yet. out of the box into a set of low burris 30mm rings. and on to my egw base. its going to see light bench time and thats about it for this year. $165 bucks to the door. Its built like a tank and shot the box with no problems multiple times. I dont play with my dials too much. I am a hunter i work off of kentucky windage mostly for holds the scope is repeatable and holds zero at 100 after dialing up 28moa and back to zero. I would love a NF or IOR, but with limited funds I got what i could afford. I will upgrade before coyote season to something better, but for now and its use only time will tell and a couple thousand rounds through it will def. tell Im sure it will give up the ghost sooner than later but seems to be a quality piece for the money spent. Ive blown more money on things of lesser quality for sure.
    couple of savages

little black 243

I have one of the vortex crossfire 6-24x50 scopes. I read a lot of good reviews so I bought one. Long story short the first one had crooked crosshairs and the second one wont hold a group on my 223ai or .243 win. so no more for me. I will go back to my nikons this thing will be in the closet. just my 2cents.

Basic Member

I am sorry to hear about your troubles, im also on the hide forum and had heard a lot of hype about the crossfires, if im gonna drop that kinda dough its gonna be ona time tested and proven NF or other name that God himself trusts in a Marines hands to keep him alive. If i beat my gun around which I will yote hunting I cant rely on a I hope it holds true. But you must also look at the application of the weapon and intended use If your ona budget which most are Are you willing to drop 5 or 6 hundred on a scope that gets used 2 times a year? I get it both ways and im suprised on that viper scope. I myself dont care for nikon scopes not the construction just the reticle selection personal pref. Heres a darn good ? WHY in gods name can i buy a 30mm tubed Bsa with aprox. 75moa elevation with sunshade, bikini cover and rings (that are junk) For 168 bucks that passed my tests but bushnells scopes have a 26moa. adjustment thats it tapped out wtf um at the time purchased 600 bucks hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......... il deal with a bit fuzzy around the edges if it holds its zero and is straight. but if i cant zero my gun its just a neat monocular. with some lines in the middle.
    couple of savages

Cover Dog

quickkillaught6....you said "am sorry to hear about your troubles, im also on the hide forum and had heard a lot of hype about the crossfires, if im gonna drop that kinda dough its gonna be ona time tested and proven NF or other name that God himself trusts in a Marines hands to keep him alive."

Do you really think a $199 scope compared to a $1300+ scope is a fair comparison ???

Basic Member

FOR cryin in the mud nota chance. I realize what you pointed out and after readin it it does sound that way... not intended brain went for a walk. What i really meant to try to spit out was, that yes 99.9% of the time you get what you pay for. Do some get lucky with less than par equipment heck yes they do. The comparison was implied to the pst vs a NF not the crossfire. For 199 bucks just hope that at full power... wait half power you can see through it at 100 yards. It was also to point out my frustrations with bushnell and their vertically challenged great for the money optics i learned to love to hate. sorry bout the disconnect
    couple of savages

Cover Dog

I confess my brain has done that a time or two.

Cover Dog

helotaxi

The PST is less than half the price of a NightForce. I think you are referring to the Razor.

My take on optics and cost is that you very quickly hit the point of diminishing returns. The difference from a $100 scope to a $300 scope is huge. The difference from a $300 to $500 scope is not nearly as pronounced. The difference from $500 to $1000 is even less. The best glass made can be had for around $1k. Going higher than that either garners you a greater magnification, additional adjustment range or some additional features. The relative cost in this range for those features is really disproportional IMO.

Basic Member

if my memory serves me right a pst ffp is $999.99 advertized so we&#39;ll say a grand so yeah bout 4hundred less than a NF giver take
    couple of savages

helotaxi

$900 on SWFA for the PST FFP 6-24. The 5-22 NFs on Midway are all over $1600 and you&#39;re still comparing apples and oranges since Nightforce scopes are all SFP. The SFP PST is $150 less than the FFP version so less than half of the price of a comparable Nightforce.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast