Thread: Cabelas Guide series 30mm tube

Cabelas Guide series 30mm tube

Anybody have experience with the Cabales Alaskain Guide series 30mm Scopes?

us920669

Re: Cabelas Guide series 30mm tube

It doesn't look like anyone has bought one yet and neither have I. After spending a small fortune on this stuff I have decided that 30 M/M is a lot of hooey. Sure, on paper it should be great, but I suspect the makers just take all the advantage the big tube gives you and trade it in on cheaper features somewhere else, hoping to catch the eye of some poor soul who has to have latest of everything. I wouldn't be surprised if the first European to make one just had some old 30 M/M pipe laying around. Of course, if you plop down something north of a grand you will get a fine instrument, but just be sure you really want it. It will probably be more weight perched up on top of your rifle.

dcloco

30 mm vs 1 inch...don't know if it is hooey or not. I do know, 150 MOA elevation adjustment in a 16x50 Leupy Mark 4 is the most adjust I have ever seen. Do not think this can be accomplished with a one inch tube.

The older Alaska Guide scopes are VERY good scopes. Japanese glass, repeatable adjustments. Scopes sold by Cabelas now, not as good.

us920669

You're absolutely right - depends on what a person is trying to do. Gotta keep my fingers off the keyboard more. For what it's worth, I just bought a used Nikon Buckmaster that edged out a 30 M/M Leupold in my night test, reading my neighbor's license plate.

us920669

Mr.Stubbs, I apologize for piggybacking my rant on top of your post. I should have started another post, and if anyone is interested, the scope night test will be rerun tonight with much better science and posted right away. I hope you get a scope that meets your needs and the Alaskan Guide may well do that. Mr. Cabela has done great things for shooting sports and with his marketing clout, I am sure he gets excellent value from his suppliers. My only experience was with a buddy who put a Pine Ridge on his muzzle loader. He was disappointed that it didn't look as good as more expensive scopes, but I was amazed that it worked as well as it did for the price he paid.

Thanks fellas for the discussion. Looking for a 30mm tube to gather light for my hunting rifle. No great distances just want to get as much light as possible.

Team Savage

I've purchased (and returned) one to Cabelas. Had it less then 4 days and shot only 4 rounds through my T/C Encore Pro Hunter .30-06. All kinds of things came loose inside it. Took it back, purchased a Nikon Monarch BDC and never looked back.
    MSG, US Army (R)/NRA F Class Match Director/NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    "The Nut behind the Butt is Responsible for the flight of the Bullet!"