Thread: Fluting

ESSCEE

Fluting

I am researching barrels for my first build. I have read that by fluting you usually can achieve the next smaller contour barrel weight. What is the advantage of a heavier barrel if you flute it to weigh less? Why not just go with the lighter contour to begin with?

Building an EDGE on a 110 by the way.

Thanks in advance for all the info.

Re: Fluting

It will have most of the rigidity but the lighter weight.

Most of all, it looks cool.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

ESSCEE

I definately agree it does look cool 8) and that is probably the way im going to go.

Scott

see many fluted barrels at matches? might be a reason. and cost would not be it.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

It will cool much faster because it has much greater surface area to act as a heat sink. The number and type of flutes can vary, 6 straight, or 6 twisted, or 4 or....
    You can reduce the weight ~10+%, on a 30" varmint contour barrel (~7lbs), that's a lot and not effect the harmonics too much.

sinman

This is probably my favorite flutting.
    [img width=600 height=360]http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/sinarms/100MEDIA_IMAG0023.jpg[/img]

Basic Member

Very nice and look at the break fitting job.....

sinman

Thanks and it would look even better if I blended the brake.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    see many fluted barrels at matches? might be a reason. and cost would not be it.
    Is it because fluting sets up stresses in the barrel? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

helotaxi

Quote Originally Posted by khuff
    It will cool much faster because it has much greater surface area to act as a heat sink. The number and type of flutes can vary, 6 straight, or 6 twisted, or 4 or....
    You can reduce the weight ~10+%, on a 30" varmint contour barrel (~7lbs), that's a lot and not effect the harmonics too much.
    It will also heat up faster since you removed mass. Less mass means quicker heating.

The barrel is more rigid than a smooth contour barrel of the same weight, but less rigid than an unfluted version of the same barrel.

The reason that you don't see them in competitions is that the weight doesn't matter that much from the bench and any machining operation adds stresses to the metal that *might* affect accuracy. If weight doesn't matter, accuracy does and you also want as much mass as possible to slow barrel heating, fluting makes no sense in a competition rifle. Where you do see it is in 3-gun ARs that have to be carried and shot on the move. They usually want a longish barrel for increased sight radius (if shooting irons) and a little extra velocity as well as for balance but they want them to be relatively light.

SMK Shoe

+1 for what HeloTaxi stated.

I think fluting helps cool the barrel because of surface area but Not alot. Weight reduction would be my only reason to spend the extra money. only my .02 cents :-\