Thread: Help!

308garand

Help!

How bad have I screwed up? I was attempting to remove the barrel nut on my action today and bent the receiver. The smallest action bar has bent in about .055in. Is this something that can be fixed at all or do I need to be looking for a new action. I could just be sick about this. Thanks for any advice.

Re: Help!

Contact Fred at Sharp Shooter Supply and see if his Time and True work will fix your problem. If not, you have a paperweight or door stop.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

bend it back! Take your time! when the bolt slides free stop!
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

308garand

Is there any negative effect in adding heat to help bend it back. I have a friend who is a welder so I have access to heat. I know too much heat is a bad thing but I don't think I can bend it back without using some heat. Any suggestions on bending it back? Thanks for all the input. If I could get it where I can get the bolt in it I think having Fred work it over isn't a bad idea.

sinman

if you add heat you throw the receiver away. they are heat treated from the factory.

Basic Member

if you can get it to where you can get the bolt in it, shoot it.

308garand

Any thoughts on how to bend it back without heat?

Basic Member

How were you trying to remove it that it was bent? I'm trying to picture it in my head, so that maybe it can be reversed.....rsbhunter
    If you stand for nothing, Then you'll fall for anything!

308garand

I had the action clamped to my table and when I was torqueing on the wrench the action rotated. When it rotated there was enough downward force that since the table didn't give the small rail on the receiver did. I measured my buddy's action compared to mine and it looks like the action moved in about .055in.

cowboy924

I think this would work
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...3133_200333133
    the spreader attachment should be just what you need.
    Any local auto body repair shop sould have one you could use.

good luck,
    Luke

sinman

I am guessing you were using a rear entry action wrench and you twisted the receiver?

Basic Member

Clamped as in C-clamp, or vise? Is it something that could be CAREFULLY , and SLOWLY moved back by hydraulic press?. I just removed my first bbl yesterday using wooden block that i had drilled a hole smaller than the barrel, cut through the center line of the hole, and clamped in a vise...seemed to work well. First thing i would suggest is to get a vise, OR action wrench.....rsbhunter
    If you stand for nothing, Then you'll fall for anything!

You should be using a reciever wrench to hold it properly.The one for the savage rem reciever is about 49.00.I cant believe you tried doing it this way.Man you got to slow down and think it out before you attempt things like this.It is very important to protect your investment.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

NO NEED FOR HEAT, IT REALLY DID NOT TAKE THAT MUCH FOR YOU TO BEND IT THE FIRST TIME
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Only way for you to try is to just reverse the way you bent it.

An action wrench woulda definately eliminated this due to it holding the front of the action, so theres no way it can twist. A barrel block or barrel vice woulda just had the barrel spin in it if the nut was that tight, but still wouldnt have bent the action.

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

308garand

Quote Originally Posted by rsbhunter
    I just removed my first bbl yesterday using wooden block that i had drilled a hole smaller than the barrel, cut through the center line of the hole, and clamped in a vise...seemed to work well.
    This is basically what I did except I had it c clamed to a table instead of a vise. There was enough downward pressure that after it rotated it was forced down and the block didn't give the receiver did.

I am seriously just thinking about buy a new action. Who has the best deal on a Savage accu-trigger short action?

lwink

To just buy an action talk to Jim Briggs - Northlander on here, has a page in the vendor classifieds. For the best deal go buy a used hunting rifle and do another disassembly.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by 308garand
    I am seriously just thinking about buy a new action.
    If you do buy a new one just put that one in the classified section and explain what is wrong with it. you might get something out of it other than scrap iron prices.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.