Thread: Long throat on Model12 LRPV 6mmBR 1in12 twist

Basic Member

Long throat on Model12 LRPV 6mmBR 1in12 twist

I have just bought a new Model 12 LRPV 6mmBR with 1 in 12 twist. It is very long throated. In fact it is so long throated it is impossible to touch the lands and be able seat the bullets in case at all Here is a list of bullets I tried with my Hornady Oal lengh gauge.
    70gr Sierra Match
    68gr Barts (FB)
    68grBruno"s (FB)
    70gr Nosler Ballistic tip
    68gr Berger Match
    80gr Berger (FB)
    Of all these there were only the (2) Berger's that would be able to seat at all and these are only.075-.100 not even closr to the full bullet size that is the standard seating depth. Has anyone else ran into this problem??? What have you done to cure it?? Other that put a new after market barrel. How do they shoot with a that bullet jump??? I belive I have the answer on how this has happened. Please correct me if I am wrong. Here is my explaination Savage choose to use the same chamber on both 1 in 8 twist and 1 in 12 twist barrels. You can't have it both ways right for a 68gr bullet and right for a 105gr bullet the only way to do this is use (2 ) different chamber reamers I don't believe Savage did this.

Re: Long throat on Model12 LRPV 6mmBR 1in12 twist

I would call Savage and ask. Several years ago Savage did .223's on a long action and I had one of their stainless fluted varmint barrels that was the same way. I called Savage and they said it was intentional and that "it improved accuracy." So much for that explanation! If the barrel is to SAAMI specifications, then it leaves you no alternative other than an aftermarket barrel chambered to your specifications relative to the throat length. There are guys on the site that shoot the 6 BR so they will have some answers for you.

Basic Member

I had a friend that called Savage on a long throated 223. and they told himthe same thing they shot better with them way off the lands I myself think that is nothing but pure B.S. I have shot a lot of bench rest and don't believe not being able to get close to the lands means loss in accuracy. This is more of a cost saving measure .

I have had some rifles that like bullets seated off the lands. My M96 Swede for one...course it is long throated. Another is a 1903a3...with the exception of the 210 Berger VLD.

racinready300ex

I know two guys that had the same thing with there 1-8 twist 6 BR benchrest models. They said they couldn't reach the lands even with 107's. The both took there barrels to a smith and had the set back a re-chambered for 150 bucks.

pdawg.shooter

I have a 112 in .223 that is that way. Only a 68gr or heavier can be loaded close to the rifling. However a 50gr Remington over 26gr of H335 shoots in the 3s all day long. Gotta be jumping near 1/4 inch. Fact is it out shoots the long heavies by by a little. I cant explain it but it does.

racinready300ex

Quote Originally Posted by pdawg.shooter
    I have a 112 in .223 that is that way. Only a 68gr or heavier can be loaded close to the rifling. However a 50gr Remington over 26gr of H335 shoots in the 3s all day long. Gotta be jumping near 1/4 inch. Fact is it out shoots the long heavies by by a little. I cant explain it but it does.
    The big heavy bullets with do better as the range increases. Compare the 50's to the 68's at 300 plus.

Basic Member

I called Savage customer service this morning and the guy I was talking to didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I asked if I could speak with a gunsmith to find out what they are at to be in factory spec's. He said that was not possible and I could sent the rifle and they would check to see it it was in factory spec's. I assume it is as it is brand new and just came out of the factory. I know there has to be some sort of explanation for them being so long throated but you are not going to get that information from Savage. I guess I will just sent it to a gunsmith and have him re cut the chamber with a reamer that was made for 65gr-80gr bullets. I can't see sending it back to Savage and pay the shipping and wait a month to get it back just so they can tell me the rifle is in spec's. By that amount out time and a little more money I can send it to the gunsmith have it re-chambered and know it is right. Everybody I talk to say they are all chambered that way for safety reasons. In case some one jamms a max loaded 107gr into a 1 in 12 twist rifle there might be a pressure spike. I am not sure I by this explanation but it might be right. WHO KNOWS!!! What the reason is.