Thread: New Forum Member -- Barrel Question

ejonny

New Forum Member -- Barrel Question

My 1st post here. Other than my shotgun, I've just purchased my first rifle, a Savage Model 25. Having searched the topic here and seen various posts, I may be over my head even asking in this forum but...

I could not find the exact model I wanted locally, so I had a rifle shipped in. I've noticed that the "Floating Barrel" on this rifle is very much off center, if not actually touching the left side of the stock. Obviously this is a mass produced rifle -- should I even be concerned? Is it only cosmetic? Is it acceptable on a brand new unmodified rifle? I don't think I can mess with the barrel on this ... I believe it's actually pinned in.

I really like the rifle as far as the feel of it, weight, trigger pull (although I just got it today and have not fired live rounds yet). However, it's not like I can just run this back down to the dealer if it does affect accuracy in the long run. Obviously, being my first rifle, I'll be the weak-link as far as accuracy, but I shoot the cr@p out of my pistols, and I'll likely be using this rifle just as much, so pretty soon I oughta get reasonably accurate with the thing! :-\

Any opionions or suggestions would be appreciated.

JCalhoun

Re: New Forum Member -- Barrel Question

Try slide a folded over dollar through the barrel channel while the rifle is in the shooting position. If the dollar will slide almost all the way to the receiver you will be fine. If it stops along the way the barrel is touching. I would contact Savage about it at that point. They have good customer service.

tropicmaster

I just had the exact problem with a brand new Duramax stock. It took me 5 minutes with an air dremel to fix, and by using the correct grit wheel you cannot tell I did it. I took some of the shavings and mixed them with 990 reducer ( high grade xylene ) and made a paste. Then I rubbed it along the edges which were slightly lighter in color than the areas I did nothing to. If I handed you the stock today you could not point out where my work stops and the factory work starts. I would do that if I was you rather than the possible weeks and weeks of sending it back to Savage. Or you could buy a factory take off stock on here and be done with it for $30 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by tropicmaster
    Or you could buy a factory take off stock on here and be done with it for $30 or so.
    I doubt it for a model 25..

Your best bet it to do what JCalhoun said, and if it is still not to your liking call Savage. You could try to shave it on the side it is hitting though, if you think you can do it without making look noticeable.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Woodser

It is not unusual for factory tupperware stocks to be a little off center on the barrel.
    Try loosening the action screws, centering the barrel and tightening them again. If the barrel pulls back to the off center position, and is indeed touching the stock at some point, either grind the stock clearance yourself or call Savage. If it is not touching the stock, then Savage has met it's claim of a free-floating barrel and the "defect" is purely cosmetic. It looks crappy I know, but it is doubtful Savage will do anything about it.

The next best suggestion I would have is to buy a decent aftermarket stock. You will get better accuracy with it anyway.

JCalhoun