Thread: Ammunition after a House fire. Is it safe to use?

Daniel-O

Ammunition after a House fire. Is it safe to use?

So my Aunt and Uncle had a really crappy Valentines day... 3/4 of their house burnt down. My Uncle had a small collection of rifles and ammunition. It was in a basement room in which pvc pipes at the Joist level were melted and drooping, Zip lock bags at head level were brittle but not meted, ziplock bags at belly button level showed no ill effects. I belive the ammo was at bellybutton and lower levels perhaps some of it was on top of the fireproof gun vault (which was left open ??? ::) ). What they are asking me is, "is it safe to use the Ammo?" I don't really know, my gut feeling is give it to a re-loader pull the bullets dump and trash the power and primers then reload. To be honest have no real idea on what to tell them... Insurance is being very helpful and up front... but I heard they may not touch the firearms issue (that is grapevine issue and not solid info)

Guys what would you do in this situation?

Thanks,

Dan

us920669

Re: Ammunition after a House fire. Is it safe to use?

I would think that if it didn't cook off it would be OK. That's just my hunch. I can't believe it would produce more pressure, in fact if it got too wet it might not work at all. Does he still have anything to shoot it in? For most of my life I have been paying a little extra for a gun rider on my policy. Of course, my agent is the kind of guy who keeps a (street legal) AK and a waterproof drum of 30 Commie around.

Daniel-O

Well after having more discussions with family, I'm under the impression that if the cardboard and plastic cases they were in didn't burn or melt I can't see any damage to the ammo inside. If I'm off on that please someone let me know. As far as i can tell none of the guns were damaged but i have not see pictures or gotten clear details.

Well I realize some of the info is lacking, as I get more I'll update.

Dan

Basic Member

If it didn't damage the package i would suspect the ammo is also fine. I have carried 22rf ammo on the dash of my truck and had the plastic warp (it gets hot here in the summer) and not seen any ill effect. I don't carry centerfire ammo on the dash tho.

Gary
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Eric in NC

Too many unknowns - just because it didn't cook off or burn the paper doesn't mean it wasn't at 250 degrees for a couple of hours. That could degrade the coatings on the powder that reduce burn rate (resulting in extra fast powder) etc. etc. etc.

No way to tell - you are rolling the dice if you shoot it. "PROBABLY" ok, but who knows.

Daniel-O

was salty and whatnot... deleted cuz I hate being an ass...

us920669

You know, the military used both stick and ball type propellants. I have read that machine guns occasionally experienced a cookoff. That means other cartridges must have sat in chambers almost hot enough to cause one.

Basic Member

About how much ammo is in question? The brass and bullets should still be good. You may not get much of a case life out of the brass, no idea what kinda heat and what effect that would have on the brass. I wouldn't risk it in my rifles just my .02
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Daniel-O

It isn't a whole lot of ammo... 30-06, 7mm, .308, and a bunch of shotgun shells... And all the reloading equipment for the shotguns, including powder (at least that didn't go).

From the sounds of it, it didn't get that hot near that stuff, he had fly tying equipment on the same shelves, bags of feathers and such that didn't get damaged... anyone know what temp goose and chicken feathers burn at?

Thank you for you input,

Dan

Basic Member

I don't know the exact temp but the feathers will burn at something below 275. I know this cause they stink up the house at 275 in the oven if you don't get them all off a bird before cooking. Paper burns at 451 but i don't know what temp it starts to degrade at and plastic would depend on the type and thickness as different plastics melt at different temps. i would say it is fine and Eric says don't trust it. common sense says if in doubt throw it out. It all boils down to "It is your choice". If it didn't melt or burn the package i would also say the brass is fine for reloading so just pull the bullets, punch out the primers and start fresh.

Gary
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member

How hot does a ammo storage dump in the middle of the Iraqi desert get.

Military cartridges are designed so that they can withstand storage temperatures from minus 65 degrees F. to 122 F. Your face will be next to the receiver when you pull the trigger, what is your head worth.

They even give thermometers to government inspectors at storage depots, and YOU are going to guess how hot a temperature the ammo got up to. ::) Paper burns at 451 degrees and its YOUR head.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/IMGP6869.jpg[/img]

Blueovalbandit

122F is that it???? Last time I was in Ft Irwin it was regularly over 130F in August. Guys told me Iraq got in the 140's. I guess it depends on exposure time.