Thread: PRACTICAL/TACTICAL SCOPE

PRACTICAL/TACTICAL SCOPE

Adjustable or fixed paralax?

When shooting F-class or similar practical/tactical competitions with shots ranging from 100 - 700 yards (or more), is a shooter at a disadvantage if they choose a scope with fixed paralax? If so, how much of a disadvantage?

With a fixed paralax scope, say set at 100 yards, at what distance does the scope become a hindrance and affect the shot to a significant amount, and what is a significant amount defined as?

And along similar lines - does anyone use an adjustable paralax scope for hunting (deer/hog) and target shooting?

I understand adjustable paralax and the benefits. I have one scope that has an adjustable objective mounted on a .223 bolt gun. I can't imagine sitting in a tree stand or ground blind, looking over a field with shots available up to 400 yards, and having to quickly range the target and then adjust paralax.

I'd like to find a scope that could be used for competition as well as hunting.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

JCalhoun

Re: PRACTICAL/TACTICAL SCOPE

When I started in long range shooting I had a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9X40 Tactical. It worked pretty well at 600y but 1k was a bit more difficult. It was really hard to shoot a tight group because of the target was not well defined. It would keep the shots in the black if I did my part. For tactical I think you will only be at a disadvantage if you have to shoot really small targets.

Maybe you could use an AO scope but set the parallax at 200y or something similar for hunting season and not move it until you are ready shoot targets. It shouldn't be so out of focus you can't hunt with it.

I have AO scopes for target use but fixed for hunting. If I had to use one scope I would go with an AO and focus it at one distance and leave it while hunting.

Re: PRACTICAL/TACTICAL SCOPE

Thanks for the reply.

Do y'all still hold F-class shoots at the Pascagoula DCM range?

I'm stationed in Pascagoula but my family lives in Natchez so I typically head for home every Friday afternoon. Wouldn't mind trying to come by the range and check out a match if y'all have a schedule. Look at the rifles and scopes being used.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.