Thread: neck turning ?'s

neck turning ?'s

i just got my build done and am getting ready to start loading for it real soon.
    i was wondering about neck turning. what is the purpose of it and how do i know if i need to do it to my rounds? anything would be greatly appreciated.

Basic Member

Re: neck turning ?'s

Neck turning is done to provide consistent neck tension between rounds, help center the bullet in the throat, and in the case of some custom rifles is required to safely fire the rifle. Most reloaders don't bother with turning case necks as it is a time consuming step. In an accurate rifle it might reduce your group sizes by .050 inch or so.

thanks keene sounds like it is just another case prep step

Basic Member

One down and dirty way to tell if you need to neck turn your brass for safely is to fire a round and see if a bullet will slide into the fired case. If it won't, not enough clearence and you need to neck turn.
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

that is down and dirty ill have to try that. i am loading rite now. got some 105 a max's done now ill try some 95 bergers.

82boy

Neck turning is a wast of time, unless you have a fittted tight neck chambered barrel.

It is sometimes required for neck clearance on a tight-neck custom chamber. It is also sometimes required on wildcats where you are necking down a parent case. For example, sometimes necking down 308 win brass to 243 win, or 222 Rem to 17 Rem, may require neck turning. As when you neck down, you thicken the case necks.

Also, if the necks of your cases are not uniform thickness, neck turning to "true" them up can help. In this case you're not taking much off, just enough to make the neck the same thickness all the way around the neck.

In most situations, for regular hunting grade ammo, especially in a factory barrel, shooting a standard caliber, no it is completely unnecessary.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim

In most situations, for regular hunting grade ammo, especially in a factory barrel, shooting a standard caliber, no it is completely unnecessary.
    or may even hurt. rendering the ammo useless to reload
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

I do it for my 22BR. I use a lathe to do it though. If I had to do it by hand I wouldn&#39;t bother.

epmn

Team Savage

If you size up a wildcat up it creates a donut on the neck. Not a good thing.
    Good idea to either ream it or turn the necks to get rid of the donut
    depending on how you form the brass.

I use a K+M Expandrion and then turn the donut off and resize.

showgun

I have to agree with 82boy here,

Don&#39;t waste your time turning necks. I just spent the past few months turning 22-250 and .308 and saw no improvement on accuracy. It is a time consuming step that I spent many hours doing, I could have been shooting more! If you&#39;re running a tight chambered match gun you may need to for proper neck expansion but this probably isn&#39;t the case. Do yourself a favor and get good BR dies, I think that will show more improvement then turning necks! I do pocket uniform and flash hole debur still but this is just my practice.

If you&#39;re stuck on turning necks PM me and I&#39;ll sell you my Hornady turning kit....!