Thread: Inletting for DBM

kennyg

Inletting for DBM

I am in the process of my first savage build, and I have a question for you experts out there. The 111 donor gun I bought has a centerfeed Detachable magazine, which I like, but I can't seem to find many stocks that are inletted for this bottom metal. I do not want to convert to a blind magazine. I have heard that Kevin Rayhill could make me a stock; are there any other options out there? I like the Choate tactical stock, and have thought about inletting it myself. Has anyone tried this? I am a cabinet maker and I have routers and lots of other tools, and I think I could make templates to do the inletting, but I thought I should find out if anyone else has tried this and what options are out there. Thanks for helping out a newbie!

airaddict

Re: Inletting for DBM

Last i checked with SSS, Fred said they are looking at a 4 week turn around to inlet a stock for the HFP/DBM. The good thing is that you go on a waiting list and get to keep shooting till they notify you to send ur stock to be worked on. So instead of 4-6 weeks its more like 2 weeks or so. I may do that with my new Boyds FT sooner or later. Its fairly priced too.

Brian

kennyg

Do you have any idea what they charge to do the inletting?

airaddict

Their website says $50. IMO thats not to bad. Its the wait that kills me!! im too impatient....lol

Brian B

I did a stocky's thumbhole stock for DBM with a dremel tool. It is by no means a precise fit for looks but it functions 100%. Not sure about plastic though or if the stock had aluminum bedding in it.

Basic Member

I just did a B&C duramax for a long action to DBM. Made a little jig to hold the stock top down. Took measurements from the old stock for pillar depth and used a shop mill to cut out the inlet after I traced the outline of the bottom metal on. Indexed off the top of the pillar/jig then took material off the bottom side until the pillars were right. Turned out great. Still had to do a little quick fitting with some sandpaper/dremel but it works perfect. All glass bedded now and ready to roll. As long as you go slow and watch your measurements you'll be just fine.

kennyg

This is just what I was looking for, thanks for the reply!