Thread: Chamber specs from Pr-fit Barrels.

Basic Member

Chamber specs from Pr-fit Barrels.

I was just curious about the chambers on the pre-fit barrels no matter the brand. For instance, if I buy a new 22-250 barrel how long is the throat? I hope they aren't like factory chambers. This is one thing I hate. When you load a 50gr bullet to just touch the lands and theres about .060 bullet left in the case. I would like to buy a barrel but I would like to know some specs. Thanks

sinman

Re: Chamber specs from Pr-fit Barrels.

most are to Std chamber like your factory barrel but if you have your own reamer you can have it cut to your specs or if the place making the barrels has a shorter throat reamer they should let you know.

Basic Member

I have purchased two of the pre-fits in the same chambering from one of the companies. The first was throated really short and I had to push the throat out .120" to put a 75 Amax where I wanted it. The second was completely the other way. It was throated so deep a 75 Amax would not stay in the case. It is being replaced and my 4 month wait is now at six with no information on when I will see the barrel. How the throat can vary by that much with a "standard" reamer I don't think I will ever understand. For the replacement I sent my own reamer to make sure that the chamber and throat were done correctly. Too bad I didn't have that reamer when I ordered the barrels. Too bad the company has an issue with making things repeatably.

epmn

blom

I have sent in dummy rounds with the OAL where I want it with a specific bullet and my barrels have came back right on, maybe all Smiths don't offer this service, I don't know.

catfish

I got a lothar walther prefit in 243 a few years ago and the it had a much shorter throat than my factory 243 savage barrel and the neck diameter was a tad tighter than factory but not tight. I would have prefered tighter. Fired im at .278 in the chamber and my reloaded ammo is pretty consistant at .2728 or so. i dont recall what my fired factory remington chamber necks were at but something like .010 larger than a loaded round. I would definitely load some new brass before buying a barrel and see if i can get the chamber .002-.003 larger than my loaded rounds next time before ordering a barrel. I have a savage factory F class 6.5-284 barrel and it has a tighter neck as i recall, like .006-7 over loaded round size but a super long throat. I dont think i can touch the lands with a 142 grain bullet and have enought bullet seated to hold it securely.

Basic Member

Thanks Guys! Sorry, but this is one thing that I despise about factory chambers and I was hoping that a custom barrel would have a shorter throat. It just irritates me when you buy a rifle and measure the throat and the thing is longer than a well rope and you end up with a bullet that is barely in the case when touching the lands. I would rather have it short cause as you fire rounds and the throat grows then you have the ability to adjust the bullet out to keep up with the growth.