Thread: fitting a boyds stock...

chaindrive

fitting a boyds stock...

first post and i just want to say this is a great site and am really learning a lot about all things savage.

i've got a savage 110 in 30.06 with the accu-trigger, serial #G71xxxx. it has the fixed blind magazine with a wood stock but doesn't have the straight comb all the way across the stock, but curves down to where it meets the recoil pad (hope that makes sense, not familiar with the nomenclature).

anyway, the rifle doesn't feel right to me with this particular configuration and i want to replace the stock. i found a nice finished walnut boyds classic stock on their website that i would like to use. it's a drop-in unless you have a third generation stock (which i believe mine is) and some modification is required to make the magazine fit.

they go into this on their site, but i wonder if any of you have any actual experience doing this and how involved is it?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Re: fitting a boyds stock...

You said "fixed" blind mag, so I will guess that means attached to the action.If that is the case it should drop right in with little to no fitting.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

It is easy to do if you have to. I would not worry about fitting it because a dremel toll with a mill bit will do a great job if needed. I just did some work on a Stockys laminate. I was able to dremel out the entire mag area for placing my detachable box mag and metal in it. It is not as good looking as a professionals work but it does work.

chaindrive

thanks for your replies.

by fixed, i meant to say that the magazine is attached to the stock (internal box) and the action drops into it.

looking at the picture on boyd's website, the area where the mag goes is already opened up. what it needs is to have the mag secured in place. they mention that "woodworking gunsmithing experience is suggested when converting to the 3rd generation guns".

i just don't want to hose up a nice walnut stock.