Thread: I need YOUR help. Recommendations on .223 rifle build

orionsoracle

I need YOUR help. Recommendations on .223 rifle build

Gentleman,I am finally going to purchase a .223 varmint long range rifle. I want a tack driver,but need to know a few things. Such as twist rate recommendations for .223 with bullet weight. Length of barrel is another option. Savage Model 12 F/TR looks like a perfect rifle,but very heavy. Your thoughts please and thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. This rifle will be used for long range shooting at coyote's etc,,,,,,,,,,

showgun

Re: I need YOUR help. Recommendations on .223 rifle build

Well you stated that this will be used for varmint/long range so I'm assuming this wont be a carry rifle. I would go with a bull barrel in a factory rig and possibly go the fluted route if you are going to build it (I'm thinking about how hot mine gets during p-dog season). For longer ranges you will want to shoot bullets 60gns and above, for that I'd go with a 9 twist or faster. Barrel length should be 18" or longer in my opinion. Their are calculations that show the optimum barrel length for a .223 but I don't remember what it is. Longer barrels will give you more velocity but not by much so don't wrap your head around needing a super long barrel, Find what works for you. I tend to like shorter barrels in my varmint rigs because I can flip then around inside the truck faster... I mean, manage the rifle better! Go with the mod 12 and customize later if you need to!

Tommacebb

If your looking for a long range tack driving varmint gun I think a better choice would be 204 Ruger. It has a much higher muzzle velocity than a 223 so it shoots flatter and on impact puts more kinetic energy into the target, despite the bullet's smaller size. It's also just plain fun to shoot and mine has outstanding accuracy. Check out some of the 204 Ruger varmint busting videos on youtube,

kslefty

Not sure what you are calling long range for coyote hunting. I shoot a .223 @ coyotes occasionally and 200 to 250 yds is maximum range for quick kills in my opinion. Step up to a 22-250, .243, or 25-06 if you truly want a long range killer for coyotes.

helotaxi

Long range on coyotes is .243 territory IMO. You can pack another several hundred FPS behind a similar weight bullet or run a much heavier bullet at significant velocity. I wouldn't even bother shooting at a song dog at 400yds with a .223 or .204 but wouldn't even give pause with the .243 at that range. If you're stuck on .223, 1:9 is the way to go. If you go .204, 1:9 is also the way to go IMO but it will mean a custom barrel.

Nefarioud

Why is 1:9 the way to go? Just out of curiosity?

I Have a .223 LRPV 1:7 that shoots 80's at 2840 and is MOA to 1000 and will hold 1/3-1/2 MOA to 600 on a good day. Several people have stated that the LRPV is probably the most accurate rifle savage builds, I tend to believe this. It is a fantastic rifle, it isn't cheap, but you tend to get more than you pay for with savages.

The best part is that you don't need to build it, it's done! Works great out of the box, you just need to worry about the nut that holds the stock.

Don't want to spend for the LRPV? Get a 7 twist Low Profile. It's a little less expensive and easier to carry. One of my best friends uses one that is completely stock (save for turning the barrel to accept a front sight) in High Power matches to regularly shoot 190's with the occasional 200 using 75 AMAX for 500 600 and Sierra 90's for 1000

I agree that a .243 has a lot more potential but it also burns nearly twice the powder and is rough on barrels.

.204 is fast, never had much luck in the wind.

orionsoracle

I see the LRPV comes in a left port or a dual port and in a 1 to 9 twist for the .223. What is the difference on ports? Thanks for the reply.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by orionsoracle
    I see the LRPV comes in a left port or a dual port and in a 1 to 9 twist for the .223. What is the difference on ports? Thanks for the reply.
    Its the side that you load the cartridges in. Left port=you load the cartridges on the left side of the action.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

showgun

IMO, 1/9 twist barrels come standard from the manufacturer because they shoot a wide array of bullets well but not perfect. Anyone going with a custom rig will have the type/weight of the bullet in mind which helps determine the twist needed. Factory rifles with 9 twist also cover most of the common factory loaded ammunition you find on the shelf.

helotaxi

To realize the benefit of a 1:7 barrel you will be loading bullets that will not fit in a normal magazine. All varmint bullets are much lighter than that. 1:9 twist will let you shoot the heaviest varmint type bullets whereas 1:12 will not and 1:7 might show pressure earlier. It is a common twist rate for a reason.

The .243 isn't any harder on barrels than any similar round. It isn't the right round for staking out dogtown but shooting coyotes the barrel will last the rest of your life.

Nefarioud

Quote Originally Posted by helotaxi
    To realize the benefit of a 1:7 barrel you will be loading bullets that will not fit in a normal magazine. All varmint bullets are much lighter than that. 1:9 twist will let you shoot the heaviest varmint type bullets whereas 1:12 will not and 1:7 might show pressure earlier. It is a common twist rate for a reason.

The .243 isn't any harder on barrels than any similar round. It isn't the right round for staking out dogtown but shooting coyotes the barrel will last the rest of your life.
    Good points Both.

I guess I was thinking more about matches and practice, going through 200 rounds per sitting, than sitting around waiting for a creature to reveal itself. The targets show up about every 15 seconds it's one of the few things you can rely on.

But Yeah, for only a few shots per day the .243 is pretty awesome.

range rat

I prefer 223's with 8 twist 20 or 24 inch barrels. They shoot everything from the 55's to 77gr bullets accurately. I can punch paper with Sierra's 77's and shoot coyotes with the 55gr Berger's. Anything heavier than 77gr in my opinion is 6mm territory and would have the trajectory of a scud missile :D.