Thread: What barrel to put a suppressor on?

redraven72

What barrel to put a suppressor on?

I currently have a lightweight sport barrel in .308 and I'm currently in the process of purchasing a suppressor. What would be the draw backs for putting it on this barrel? Or should I just wait till I get a heavier barrel? Any help would be great. Thanks

sinman

Re: What barrel to put a suppressor on?

Most 30cal cans use 5/8"x24tpi so you will need .625" at the muzzle for threads but also a shoulder to stop against. I would suggest at least .68" so you will need your lw barrel cut back to account for that. Just a heads up in case you didn't know.

redraven72

So it would be better for me to go ahead and get the heavier barrel then and leave the light weight barrel alone. Thanks that saved me a barrel.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by redraven72
    So it would be better for me to go ahead and get the heavier barrel then and leave the light weight barrel alone. Thanks that saved me a barrel.
    If you are speccing out a new barrel, talk to the maker about threading, I think the cost from Shilen was minor to thread the muzzle while the barrel is already on the lathe
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

Basic Member

Midway usa has a 308 heavy barrel already threaded and ready to mount on a savage on sale. Can't remember how much, but it was cheap. Been thinking about a silenced 308 myself. Silencer is about $650-700 and up then $200 to govt. I just have to hear one in person first. Not interested in sub sonic loads.

helotaxi

Quote Originally Posted by jgerrington
    Midway usa has a 308 heavy barrel already threaded and ready to mount on a savage on sale. Can't remember how much, but it was cheap. Been thinking about a silenced 308 myself. Silencer is about $650-700 and up then $200 to govt. I just have to hear one in person first. Not interested in sub sonic loads.
    I bought one of those barrels for a build and it was under $150 IIRC. I bought it for use with a brake but might run a suppressor later. Still waiting on the stock so no chance to shoot it yet to give an opinion.

Cutting a sporter barrel back to around 20" should give you the diameter you need for threads. The can is going to add both length and weight, so a heavier barrel profile might not be desirable.