Thread: Trimming brass to rough length after forming

helotaxi

Trimming brass to rough length after forming

Search revealed nada, so...

I'm making my first foray into wildcatting brass. I'm making .300 Blackout from LC 5.56 brass. This entails trimming about 1cm off the brass after initial forming. Is there a trick to doing this relatively quickly? I don't mind doing the trimming in two steps, getting the finish cut on my Lyman case trimmer, but it is not suitable for large stock removal. I've trimmed a few with a fine blade hobby saw, but what a PITA.

Eric in NC

Re: Trimming brass to rough length after forming

The power dillon trimmer is good. The quickest way is the old "trim die" - run the brass up into the die and cut/file whatever sticks out flush with the top of the die. Don't know who makes a 300 blackout trim die though.

82boy

Send a piec of brass to Possum Hollow Eric should be able to make you a zip trimmer.
    http://www.possumhollowproducts.com/...-trimmers.html

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by helotaxi
    Search revealed nada, so...

I'm making my first foray into wildcatting brass. I'm making .300 Blackout from LC 5.56 brass. This entails trimming about 1cm off the brass after initial forming. Is there a trick to doing this relatively quickly? I don't mind doing the trimming in two steps, getting the finish cut on my Lyman case trimmer, but it is not suitable for large stock removal. I've trimmed a few with a fine blade hobby saw, but what a PITA.
    redding makes a trim die.

Are you on the 300 whisper forum? http://www.quarterbore.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38

lots of good info there. the 300 blk is almost identical to the 300/221 chamber wise, but RSilvers specified a slightly longer throat for the blk, which could cause pressure issues for some guns.
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

Aircraftmech76

I'm all set up for making 300 Fireball / Blackout brass with a Dillon RT1200 and CH4D form and trim die. I'll convert your brass from 223 to 300 for you, or let you know how the process is accomplished if you like. PM for details.

Kevin

helotaxi

The forming is done. Quite simple to accomplish. The trimming is just tedious with a hobby saw to remove excess length. I was hoping to be able to get it done more quickly with something that I already have instead of buying something else specific to the task. Thanks for the input.

Basic Member

If removing a lot of brass from each case, try a Dremel with a reinforced cutting disc. That is how I shorten .30-30 to .30 Herrett.

Basic Member

helotaxi

^^^That wouldn't even have begun to get it done. I broke down and got an abrasive chop saw from Harbor Freight and rough trimmed them with that. Not sure quite how many cases I did but was at least 200. Rough trim and then final trim with the Forster power case trimmer (essentially a holder and cutter for use on a drill press) took about 2 hours.

Basic Member

Oh I know, I was only suggested using this after you cut down your .223/5.56 brass and form it. That is what I do. I just use a small chop saw to cut just slightly under the bottom of the shoulder, use lots of case lube and run it through a
    Redding die, then use the Lee trimmer on a cordless drill. I can do a lot of those in no time. Search http://www.quarterbore.net/forums/index.php?f=27 for what others are doing.