Thread: ATN IR Scopes??

james86

ATN IR Scopes??

Has anyone on here heard much about these scopes? I am looking at this one in particular:
    http://www.atncorp.com/NightVisionPo...4/ATN8-24X75LU

It says it is range-finding, but then it says that the reticle let's you estimate range. I don't know what that means. I would be mounting it on a long-range 6.5x55 Swede. Any input would be appreciated.

-James.

james86

Re: ATN IR Scopes??

I forgot to mention the price, and it is not listed on the website. I found it online new for around $750 and I am looking at a used one for $600 OBO.

-James.

helotaxi

I can't speak to the optics or quality, but I can say that ATN is not one of the brands that I would be looking at in that price range. The first clue that the optics are suspect is the HUGE objective lens. In a 6-24, or any daytime scope for that matter, there is no need for a 75mm objective. Bigger isn't always better and with scopes, oversized objectives are usually used to compensate for sub-par glass to keep the scope brightness to an acceptable level. The more pressing issue is getting a scope that comically big mounted low enough to the rifle to allow for a consistent cheek weld without a likewise comically big cheek rest on the stock. For less money you can currently get a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50 with a first focal plane illuminated mil-dot reticule and 0.1 mil turrets. The Bushnell is a scope with known excellent optics and quality.

The reticule on the ATN is simply a hashed reticule that gives you references that when compared to an object of known size allow you to determine range. Nothing cosmic. There are tons of different reticules out there that let you do the same thing from the standard mil-dot to the myriad proprietary designs out there.

Basic Member

Bushnell discontinued the elite 4200 series you can get them at a significant discount i would highly recommend you check them out before you buy an atn

james86

Awesome, thanks guys.

-James.

helotaxi

Quote Originally Posted by Tim300wsm
    Bushnell discontinued the elite 4200 series you can get them at a significant discount i would highly recommend you check them out before you buy an atn
    Yep. I've bought 4 in the last month since Natchez announced the clearance.

james86

So what do you do with the Elite 4200 as far as the limited adjustment range. I would like to use it for distances varying from 100-800 yards, do you just learn how to use the reticle really precisely?

-James.

james86

Also, Natchez is out of the 6-24 Mildot. Where else would you guys suggest buying from?

helotaxi

It does appear that they're out of all the tactical models.

As far as the adjustment range goes, a 10 MOA base or offset bushings in a set of Signature Zee rings can give you the adjustment range needed to comfortably dial from 100 to 800 yds assuming a 140gn Hornady BTHP at 2500 fps.

Basic Member

another good one to look at is sightron. this is to the sightron website and you can find different prices across the web but somewhere around the 600 dollar mark.

http://www.sightron.com/index.php?ac...at_id=15&id=35

it has enough adjustment and they are great scopes.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

james86

I would absolutely love a sightron. I have been looking at them for a while now, but I can't spend $800 on a scope at this point.

james86

Quote Originally Posted by james86
    I would absolutely love a sightron. I have been looking at them for a while now, but I can't spend $800 on a scope at this point.
    Disregard that, I didn't finish reading your post that you can find them for $600. What are the major differences between the Sii and the Siii?

Basic Member

the biggest difference is going to be the tube size.. 1 inch vs 30 mm. some of the 30 mm scopes have more adjustment but for what you seem to want to do i would think the 1 inch tube would do everything you want. sightron's web site gives links to online dealers and finds dealers near you also.
    just for the record i haven't found anything wrong with vortex scopes either but my sightron i use for competition is clear and i have never had a problem with the adjustments.
    i think you can find what you want at one of these 2. i am not going to knock bushnell i just haven't bought any in 10 or 12 years. i still use a couple on a pair of 8mm rifles.

http://www.sightron.com/

www.vortexoptics.com/
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)