Thread: .223 extended magazine

davemuzz

.223 extended magazine

If I were looking into a new Savage or Stevens in .223, is there a way to get a magazine that will hold more that 4 rounds? It doesn't matter if it's a blind mag., or a detachable mag., just as long as I could get at least 5 rounds in it.

Thanks.

Dave

Basic Member

Re: .223 extended magazine

The best solution I can think of is to go with a 22-250 and then all the 308 based detachable mags magically work.

I too would like a setup like the new SSS or CDI detachable mag system, but neither of them support .223 ...

davemuzz

DWM,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah....from everything I've looked at I couldn't see anything that would give me more than 4 rounds in .223. For the 22-250 and up...seems like I can get 100 round drum magazines!!!!

DAve

ellobo

One in the chamber and 4 in the magazine. theres your five. If you need more get a detachable magazine in mulitples. If you really need all those rounds get an ar-15.

El Lobo

Basic Member

I have an HS short action, detachable mag, centerfeed stock on order, will end up buying factory Savage bottom metal and magazine.

Would much rather have a SSS or CDI setup.

davemuzz

Thanks guys.

I'm actually asking this question for a gun club buddy of mine. He wants to get into one of the local club's NRA sanctioned shoots.....but I believe the rules are, if your shooting a bolt action, you cannot have one in the chamber when at the firing line. I think your bolt must be open....and then once your "commence fire" command is given, you only have so much time to shoot 5 rounds.

Now, it may sound dumb, but once your in "position" you really don't want to move all about to load that final round.

Hey....he's telling me if it don't hold at least 5, then he's simply not interested in the rifle.

Thanks

Dave

helotaxi

The magazine holds 5. You can't chamber a round in a blind mag rifle and then top off the mag without ejecting the round in the chamber. Once you close the bolt it strips the top round from the mag and you have 4 in the mag and one in the tube.

Wtex

Like Helo said, my Stevens 223 holds 5 in the magazine. The centerfeed magazine hasn't been easy to load, would prefer a detachable.

PBinWA

Not inexpensive but I think the XLR Industries Evolution Stock will allow you to use AICS .223 10 Round Mags:

http://www.xlrindustries.com/Standard-Series.html

I would call them if you can afford it. They are building a stock for my .300 WM at the moment.

davemuzz

PB.....Man...that is one way cool stock!!!!

Basic Member

Well, they guy at CDI says his bottom metal will take the .223 magazines and work in the HS stock.

This is good to know.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dwm
    Well, they guy at CDI says his bottom metal will take the .223 magazines and work in the HS stock.

This is good to know.

Gotta link?
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

Basic Member

CDI Precision Gunworks

I don't work for the guy ...

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dwm
    CDI Precision Gunworks

I don't work for the guy ...
    I saw a dbm conversion for 308& such, but not for 223 length. ???
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience