Thread: Target from 100 Yr Old M-19 Savage

Rifleman51

Target from 100 Yr Old M-19 Savage

Well I went out and shot today. It was in the 20's and it was so cold, the cartridges had to be pried out of the chamber, it was a real pain. It warmed up into the 30's and the gun started extracting.
    The shooting bench had snow higher than the seat, so I had to clear the snow off and was shooting with my legs streight out under the table. Add about a 15 mph cross wind and it was a really lousy day to shoot, but no way was I not going to shoot this gun.

For all the cold, snow and wind, it did pretty good.
    After shooting I took it into the shop and lapped the bore with at least 10 more patches with JB Bore Shine on them, the patches came out black, I still have not got to good steel, there's still fouling in the bore.
    I spent 2 hours last night cleaning the bore with regular JB and JB Bore Shine, it was pretty badly fouled.

One neat thing about the bolt in this gun is that it has 2 firing pins, one at the top of the cartridge, one at the bottom.

Anyway, I sitting here posting with a wet butt from sitting in the snow, here's the pic of the best 5 shot group @ 50 Yds. The others were in the .4", .5" range and one in the .6", my bad..
    I was more than pleased and think there is still better accuracy to be had. I was shooting Wolf MT.
    I was using the Wallensak 4x scope made in the 1930's. It was plenty sharp enough to see a 1/2" bullseye @ 50 yds.

I can't wait to shoot it in warmer weather, it should shoot in the .2"'s, we will see.

Amazing, the new Savage target rifles shoot great, so did the tatget rifle Savage made almost 100 years ago.

John K
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o18/Rifleman04/DSCF0062.jpg[/img]

Mr. YACYAS

Re: Target from 100 Yr Old M-19 Savage

Thats some good shooting man. What a great rifle.

Basic Member

Re: Target from 100 Yr Old M-19 Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. YACYAS
    Thats some good shooting man. What a great rifle.

+1 ;D
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience