Thread: Older 7mm mag 110 with magazine feeding problems

Ralfus

Older 7mm mag 110 with magazine feeding problems

I am having feeding problems with an older 110 with blind mag box. It is the style with the scope bases built into the receiver. When loading the magazine with more than one 7mm Mag cartridge, the rounds will pop out when the bolt is pushed forward. Funny thing is that it will actually feed 30/06 rounds just fine (no I didn't fire them).

Was there a separate magazine box for magnum rounds versus 30/06/.270 rounds?

I ordered a "magnum" magazine box from Brownells to have on hand and they sent a short action box with very narrow feedlips. Looks like maybe a 223 magazine but labled as a magnum magazine.

Any advice??

Basic Member

Re: Older 7mm mag 110 with magazine feeding problems

It's funny what you said about brownells, I've recieved the wrong savage parts in the correct bags lately. I asked them what the deal was and got no reply but they returned my money and paid for return shipping. It sounds like your feed lips may need tweeking, I believe the only difference between 30-06 mag box and 7mm, 300win mag box is the width between the lips. The more seasoned guys will be able to help you more.
    &quot;Michigan&#39;s DNR system is the biggest threat to it&#39;s whitetail herd&quot;<br />&quot; Forget Smith and Wesson, our house is protected by Holland and Holland&quot;

Hawk
    Ttt

stangfish
    What cho doin Hawk?! This post is 2 1/2 years old.

Basic Member
    Im actually glad he bumped this thread. The 7mm Rem Mag(older 110 staggerfeed) I just bought is doing this same thing except mine start to feed the round, the projectile moves forward into the chamber and then once the case is completely free from the magazine the back of the casing will either hang out the side or top of the gun and get pinched by the bolt attempting to close. I learned real quick to chamber very slowly with this gun to keep from having a round fall out the side or get pinched while trying to chamber.

So how do I adjust the lips on the magazine if that is my problem? Im guessing it is because when I close the bolt slowly with the magazine empty, as soon as the bolt comes in contact with the magazine, the whole magazine will shift down and to the left about 1/16th of an inch.

Hawk
    Is it on every round or just the #2 in the magazine? Mine was on #2 #1 and #3 would feed well but #2 would jump out and stovepipe. So I think it was jumping out of the magazine lip on the left side. I removed magazine found a small block of wood to put inside and taped on the front left feed lip with a soft face hammer ever so light. A few tries and it feeds all 3 rounds just fine. I took the magazine out the little tabs that hold it in the receiver needed to be bent back in to shape. That fixed my down and side play.
    Semper Fi

Basic Member
    Mine is almost always on the first round chambered and sometimes the second. But the third and last round always goes in smooth.

Here is a video to show just how loose my magazine well is. Also is it possible to change out the magazine wells for other calibers? or remove it all together and have a single shot sled installed somehow besides the one that replaces the follower in the magazine?

Hawk
    You can remove by twisting the front out left or right. Take it out bend the tabs that hold it in the receiver put it back in and give it a try.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/451...1-long-actions Link is for a new mag in 3006 length.