Thread: New to the board with a couple simple questions.

TacoBruiser

New to the board with a couple simple questions.

I am buying either a 10pc or 10fcp-k .308 cal. in the very near future. I did a search and it didn't give me any results, so here we go. What kind of barrel break in procedures are you guys using with the best results? The rifle will be used for coyote as well as some long range paper. I know this part probably falls in the help me decide category, but what are you thoughts between the two for the above mentioned.

NeverNoLuck

Re: New to the board with a couple simple questions.

can o worms but what I do

shoot 1 clean 1 for first 15
    shoot 3 clean up to a total of 50
    shoot 5 clean up to 100

this doesn't have to be done all in one shooting session of course but stick with the program and it won't hurt, if anything it helps cleaning down the road, of course I have varied on this method before depending on how dirty and how much copper I am getting out it almost depends on the barrel, some are worse than others

Uncle Jack

On the other hand, several well known barrel makers say, "Just go shoot it".

I'm too old to spend that much time breaking in a new barrel. I have three of that particular rifle (FLCP-K in .223, .308, and 300 Win Mag). Never "Broke In" any of them and they all will do .500" or better.

uj

Nefarioud

Not that any one way is proven 100% correct but here's what I do.

First 50 are Final Finish, cleaning every 10 as per instructions

Then depending on whether or not I'll be using HBN, I'll either just start shooting or "seed" the barrel with a patch soaked in HBN and fire several quickly to get it hot then run a solvent patch through to clean out the carbon and then shoot it until I notice accuracy issues (which is usually quite a while, depending on caliber)

Besides, it's a savage if you do it wrong (which is nearly impossible) you've created an excuse to get a new barrel

bubbinator

Some time ago I watched an FBI HRT Sniper associate friend of mine "break-in" his new personal Rem 700 Sendero in 7mm Mag. He shot 5, cleaned , repeat-X2, X3,X4,X5. Then shot for a serious group of a heavy bench/bags w/ 3.5X10 Leupold. His first 5 shot group was inside a 1" space in the target and the nextcleaning w/ his FBI issue (Gun Cleaning stuff?) was a brush w/solvent/patch/patch w/ solvent/dry patch/dry patch and #3 was clean as new. My Kel-Tec 223 recommended a shoot/clean/shoot clean process for under 20 rds and it was good to go. Lots of posts in some other forums had good advise.

rez187

look some very well know high end barrel makers say just shoot the thing! why waste ammo at these prices for something that may help me clean it?????????? just doesnt make sense to me. i have just shot all my rifles even my patrol guns and most will shoot near same hole groups, shoot clean shoot clean sounds like an ammo maker came up with this to sell more ammo!

+1, I shoot em and don't worry about barrel break in any more. My factory Savage 270 barrel has yet to give me any indication of being the usual copper mine after 60 rounds.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

Just clean the barrel and shoot it.

TacoBruiser

Thanks for the input gentlemen.

helotaxi

Break in on my .308 barrel consisted of 10 "sighters" and a 10 shot string for a group. The group was inside an inch at POA. Broken in as far as I'm concerned. Still haven't cleaned it. Don't plan to any time soon either.