Thread: Bench rest VARMINT FOR SCORE

Bench rest VARMINT FOR SCORE

I was thinking about shooting this class this year at my clubs informal matches and was wondering about the 6x scope limitation.
    Does anyone shoot this class and if so are there any recommendations on a 6x scope? I will not shoot any further than the 100 yard match because I don't think my eyes will be able to handle longer shots at 6x, actually I don't know how well I will see at 100.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

82boy

Re: Bench rest VARMINT FOR SCORE

Varmint for score is open for light, and heavy varmint rifles as well as hunter class. You need to check the rules at the range you will be shooting at. If they are shooting varmint for score in light or heavy gun class scope power is unlimited. Now if they are shooting Hunter class there is a few other rules that go along with that class, One the stock has to be no wider than 2 1/2 inches, it must have a mag well cut in the bottom of the receiver, (You can still use a single shot adapter but it must not be attached to the receiver.) besides the 6 power scope there is limitations on cartridge size. Hunter class is shrinking in participation, and many clubs are getting away from this class. Some clubs have a "factory" class , and they usually do not limit scope power. Checl with the match director , and see if they are shooting Hunter class, and what rules they have.

Patrick, last year they had the "hunter" class and 6 power limit,as for cartridge mine will be a 250 savage. If I go any other way I would have to go "semi custom" which will give me unlimited scope range but take me out of Varmint hunter.
    This is all going on a new build that I am waiting for all the parts for. I can probably order a scope and get it here before anything else arrives,I already have the stock, a Boyds thumbhole that will need fitting and bedding but as you know that can not be done without the rest of the parts.
    Barrel and trigger are about 2.5 weeks out and I guess when Northland decides to go to UPS my action will ship,anything else that I need should be in the parts drawer.
    I am considering the SS 6x. I have a few of their scopes and the glass clarity is very good and they are all return to zero perfectly.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

82boy

If I was going to buy a 6 power scope I would buy a Leupold. The lower power scope are much cheaper, so you might as well spend the cash. You will find that not all scopes are created equal, meaning some scopes with have more magnification that others, even though they both say 6 power. Clarity will also help in tricking the eye that a scope is more powerful than it is. I say spend some money on a good 6 power.

Basic Member

clubs have different rules varmint for score i shoot two different clubs both allow any power scopeone allows 3 inch fore arm other doesnt both are so different, now hunter class for score is 6x in both clubs.