Thread: 6mm br vs 6mm br Norma

nuclabuyer

6mm br vs 6mm br Norma

I have a 6mm Dasher I am getting ready to reload for ( for the most part a 6mm BR AI). I am looking for the difference between a 6mm BR and a 6mm BR Norma. From what I can tell, it is the same thing, the BR is made for lighter bullets and the Norma is made for the 139gr bullets etc. So my question to you is, can I use 6mm BR Norma brass to load a 6mm Dasher ?

thanks

Team Savage

Re: 6mm br vs 6mm br Norma

i would say yes ,the only diff. that i no of is
    the flash hole size &the old 6br brass will have shorter necks
    drybean

82boy

Originally the 6mmBR Remington was made for silhouette shooting in Rem 40x action pistols. With that said, the original brass was made, and the flash holes had to be drilled. When someone got the idea to chamber the round in a single and shoot heavy bullets, the wanted a safety feature that would prevent cambering the round in the 40X pistols, so the solution was to make the neck of the brass longer so that it would not chamber. This longer necked version is the 6mmBR Norma. Besides that the rounds are the same, with subtel differences as noted such as size of flash holes ,and so on.

Your dasher will use the Norma version of the brass, the round is loosing neck length and needs all that it can get.

nuclabuyer

I was hoping that I could get a couple boxes of 6mm BR Norma ammo from Midway and shoot that. It will fireform when I shoot it the first time, but after that I will have a 6mm Dash case. Anybody see a prob with that?

MarkS

nuclabuyer,
    You want to go with the Lapua brass. Then fireforming for the Dasher. The case must be held tight in the chamber by the bullet, jamed into the lands. If not the case will move in he chamber. I don't Factory ammo will work. See http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartr...6mmbrimproved/.

Good luck
    Mark Schronce