Thread: coyote calls

Basic Member

coyote calls

What sounds are you guys having the most luck with? What seems to be the most enticing to them?

stevec

Re: coyote calls

Johny stewart "Superjack" .............It is the most productive call ever!

Just got this one about an hour ago. Took 2 minutes for her to come in.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff108/stevecphoto/0210111738-03.jpg[/img]

Steve

showgun

That's a pretty general question. I think it depends on where you live, where you hunt, the amount of pressure the coyotes receive, the calling devices others in your area are using, etc. If you are hunting in an area that is popular to other coyote hunters, chances are that the coyotes are educated and wont respond to a call. If everyone in your area uses an electronic caller then I would use a mouth call to gain the coyotes attention. I have found, the pups are uneducated and will come in at least once to any given call out of curiosity. If you blow the chance to take it you will have to step it up a notch and "feed" him. They might respond to one call one day and a different call the next. Say a guy before you calls a coyote in on a cottontail distress, takes a shot and misses, the coyote is less likely to come back in to that call. You will have to play with many different calls and see what works.

Here is central washington I have found a fawn bleat and challenge howl work the best. I'll throw a bark or mouse squeak in to get the dog to stop so I can deliver a well placed shot.

Basic Member

It was meant to be a general question. I realize all those factors come in to play as I've had a difficult time myself lately finding what they'll respond to in my area. I was just curious to see what was working for others in their areas.

Song Dog

Use a sound that is totally different. When I hit a dry spell, I will think outside the box and things turn around.

Basic Member

This time of year, howls are pretty hard to beat.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

Basic Member

try a baby coon. once youve educated all the yotes on the rabbit and woodpecker and such try the coon.

wrvet05

i've been filling the back of the truck here in idaho using the coyote pup distress and ground hog distress 60+ dogs this winter and finally getting tougher with no snow on ground. As terrible as it sounds i've even heard of guys recording their babies crying and using that recording havent tried it yet but heard it works pretty well.

Team Savage

don't laught,but a dogs squeakie toy works great
    you can change the tone by muffling it in your hand
    drybean

JReed

Quote Originally Posted by wrvet05
    As terrible as it sounds i've even heard of guys recording their babies crying and using that recording havent tried it yet but heard it works pretty well.
    I have seen it done. Not my choice but it does work.

bones44

Hi guys, new here. Been a long time coyote hunter and the best call I've used has always come down to the little squeaker like someone else posted. I try it on my dogs at home first, if it drives them crazy I'll try it. I've had foxes especially almost land in my lap from one old sqeaker I use. After all the money I've spent on calls..... Go figure :D

Team Savage

no joke give it a try
    drybean

scott597

wounded pup has been getting me alot of attention lately.

bubbinator

I hadn't spent much time coyote hunting on purpose, but have shot a few while deer hunting or caught them crossing a pasture. That all changed when we got chickens after I retired and a few weeks ago I spotted a coyote on my back fence line about 85 yds from the house. I happened to have a Glock 21 in my belt and fired several rounds at it. I found it dead on the other sie of my fence, a ***** with dry teats-pups in the area! I broke outmy Johnny Stewart Caller w/ a chicken distress tape and set up a ground blind among a log/trash pile near the fence. I've killed about 10 coyotes in the last 2 weeks with a 221 Rem Fireball under 50 yds. in my "back yard"! There is a 2 section parcel of woods behind me and pastures/woods/creek bottom around me. At least 3 packs of coyotes can be heard at night howling/yipping.