Thread: VLP single shot

Basic Member

VLP single shot

For a single shot action in a vlp stock, the mag well is cut the same as a repeater. Has anyone filled theirs with a wood block or bedding material? Thinking of an oak or maple insert glued in and then bedded.

KRP

Re: VLP single shot

Why?

Kinetik1

To make a single shot, and to make the stock more rigid, I would imagine....

Appleseed,
    Maybe go for a less permanent approach first, like a single shot follower? If better accuracy is the reason behind this, start w/ the follower, bedding, then filling in the mag well if the accuracy isn't to your liking.

Basic Member

It is a single shot, no follower required. Didn't want to use so much filler, have plenty of hardwood. Unlike the F/TR and the Benchrest stocks, the VLP stocks are inletted, even this one in single shot action. To get a full bedded fit, the well has to be filled.

blom

Had the same situation on a Md. 12 single shot. wasn't all that fond of the stock so got one from Stockade Stocks

Ray Gunter

I would do just as your thinking. Add a glue in wood block to fill the void then bed over it. That sounds very reasonable to me.

Scuff up the cavity to remove any finish to give the glue a hold. Any of the hard woods would work just fine for this filler piece.

keithcatfish

When I bedded my VLP single shot I roughed up the recess of the stock, cut an oak block about 1/8" smaller in all dimensions than the recess and epoxied it in. A few days later, after the epoxy cured, I bedded the action.

Basic Member

Have my gunsmith fill the magazine well with lead and glass-bedding compound.

Varmint rifles like the single-shot VLP and BVSS-S always can use a little more weight.

Basic Member

I like these stocks! And maybe get a factory savage in the running here in my neck of the woods. No problem really compared to some others brands touted around here. Ball bearings or marbles would work in bedding.

range rat

Just talked to my range bud/retired gunsmith at this mornings shoot about this same issue. I'm using a VLP single shot action on a Stockys thumbhole for a custom off-hand match rifle. My reason for filling the void is I'm putting a flush mount rail between the action screws for a palm rest. The stock is only about .200 thick at the bottom of the mag well and I need to go .375 deep for the rail to be flush. He sugested using a hard wood block. The biggest benefit I see is full lengh beddeng under the action rather than the tiny offset pads around the rear action screw.
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n212/455mjd/001-70.jpg[/img]