Thread: Best Cheap scope for .22LR ???

classic.rocker978

Best Cheap scope for .22LR ???

Well a younger guy I know just got his first rifle, its a henry .22lr lever action and he has been shooting it ALOT... Figured I might get him a scope for it, I briefly asked him what he thought of scoping it and he said it would be cool.

Well to me, thats a yes.

This kid is really into firearms, I'd like to get him a pretty decent .22lr scope. Nothing real high dollar, preferably something fixed 4x I doubt you ever... EVER need more than 4x with a .22lr

Just need something that will hold up to the abuse of a not so careful teen. Okay, from what I've seen he's careful... But awkward. Bumps into things and what not. lol

Are there any decent scopes under 100 bucks that will hold their zero and not look retarded on a .22lr lever action? Preferably a popular model I can find used on ebay

Would these hold a reliable zero on a .22lr? If it gets bumped a little bit is it reliable?

Here's what I found to be cheap and popular, prices include shipping.

Apparently americas best selling rimfire scope:
    Simmons 4x32 for $33 - http://www.amazon.com/Simmons-Mag-4X.../dp/B0000V2MQO

Bushnell 4x32 For $34 - http://www.opticsale.com/bushnell-.2...c027_d_762243C

Tasco 4x32 For $25 - http://www.amazon.com/Tasco-Pronghor.../dp/B00399H7PK

BSA 4x32 For $30 - http://www.amazon.com/BSA-Rifle-Scop.../dp/B000NK4LN4

He shoots a lot of squirrels and I want to get him an accurate .22lr scope. I hate seeing bad shots and animals suffering, even if it is just a squirrel. So I'd like a reasonably accurate scope for him that holds zero. Thats one reason I'm going fixed 4x (Less to go wrong).

Cycler

Re: Best Cheap scope for .22LR ???

I'm not a fan of cheap scopes on anything, even rimfires. You don't have to spend huge money but more than $35 is certainly warranted. I have a couple of Nikon Prostaff 4X "Rimfire" scopes on my .22 rf rifles and they are well worth the $100 or so they go for.

Basic Member

I've had many a Weaver 4X or 6X scope on a 22LR. Reliable as a rock and clear.
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

nothing wrong with the simmons it is a childs rifle. in 2 years if he is still hot and heavy in it you can upgrade.

Team Savage

vortex crossfire would be my choice
    drybean

classic.rocker978

Went to wally world.. they had a 4-16x centerpoint for $60 and a bushnell 4x32 for $25.... I grabbed the bushnell. I didn't think he needed all the extra magnification. We sighted it in. and sighted it in... and sighted it in. For an hour. 75 shots later it was finally sighted in.

Sometimes 16 clicks wouldnt even move it, then 1 click would move it the equivalent of 10 clicks. It seems to hold its zero though and it seems to have really nice glass for a $25 scope. Beats out many similiar rimfire scopes in the $50 price range.

I dont know how the bushnell 3x9 is but the 4x32 fixed scope is really clear and bright. Takes a long time to sight it in, but once it does it holds a good zero and works like a charm.

I had a BSA 4x32 on a 12ga slug gun for several years withstood a couple hundred shots on that and now resides on a 22LR. That being said my first choice would be a Vortex Crossfire, with the BSA comming in 2nd.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member

being cheap myself, the best i've found for under $100.00 that is repeatable is that 4-16 centerpoint. but as the OP eluded to, may look a bit retarded on a lever.

i've replaced enough BSA's to know to stay away from them. even having to replace the replacement scope. enough said.

a simmons and bushnell would probably be the next low dollar scopes not retarded looking scope on a lever, being tied with a tasco and a barska.

you can find either of the three easily enough from low power fixed to variable 3-9x or higher for under $100.00, and even under $50.00. the market is flooded with them.

IMO with a lever, almost any scope looks retarded, a nice set of fiber optic opens or adjustable opens / aperature sights seem appropriate.

yet for the sake of the squirrels, a scope should help, but he'll still have to know how to hold over / under at further / closer distances.
    a craftsman can't realize his full potential, without finding the potential of the tools he uses....

when I want something low priced I look for the old weaver K or T series. A K6 straight power works great if your not after moving critters.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

classic.rocker978

Yea hes done a lot of squirrel hunting, I think the 4x32 would be great at that. I wish walmart carried the 4x32 fixed centerpoint. They are sold out everywhere. I have heard nothing but great things about that cheap little scope.

I dont like the look of a scope on a lever action either, but its nice to be able to clearly see the squirrels head in the crosshair. Allowing for a more humane kill. Which is what hunting is all about. Not what the rifle looks like.

classic.rocker978

I think I'm going to look into getting a weaver k6 for an older 30-06 I have. Are they pretty decent scopes?

forger

Just my experience..others may not see it this way
    I have had good service with your first choices Simmons and Tasco. In the low priced scopes my Simmons and Tascos are holding center quite good. The Bushnells, although they have good, clear glass, have..have given me troubles with adjusting.
    Don't underestimate those centerpoint scopes. I have 2 of them, the 4-16 and a 3-9X32 (correction) Centerpoint , both from Wally-world. The 4-16 is on my Savage 93R17V and has held adjustments very well although the glass of the Bushnell or Tasco may be a bit sharper...but only slightly so.
    An important thing to remember about the Centerpoint scopes, is that they are built for Crosman, the air rifle mfgr. Springer air rifles produce recoli in both directions, both forward and backward. Scopes for air rifles must have their components "doubly braced"...and many rimfire shooters have discovered this adsvantage for their .22 rifles.

Cycler

Quote Originally Posted by forger
    An important thing to remember about the Centerpoint scopes, is that they are built for Crosman, the air rifle mfgr. Springer air rifles produce recoli in both directions, both forward and backward. Scopes for air rifles must have their components "doubly braced"...and many rimfire shooters have discovered this adsvantage for their .22 rifles.
    The other advantage to air-rifle scopes is that they are parallax corrected for short range use which is good for most .22rf use too.

Tuksonrider

Check out www.swfa.com and www.natchezss.com for really good prices and selections of scopes.

Here are a couple very inexpensive scopes:
    http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cf...Rings Clampack
    BSA .22 Special 3-9x32 Riflescope with Rings Clampack = $24.86

http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cf...ope with Rings
    BSA 4x32 .22 Special Series Scope with Rings = $17.99

I myself have this one: BSA Sweet .22 3-9x40 for $40
    http://swfa.com/BSA-3-9x40-Sweet-22-...pe-P42505.aspx

I find that it is sharp edge-to-edge, holds a zero well on a .22, and is bright. It also has an adjustable objective lens for very accurate short distance shooting (25yards and under).

Basic Member

check out the pentax 4x32 or vortex crossfire 4x32. The crossfire is set at 50yds for rimfire. The pentax pop up on ebay regularly and they tend to go cheap. There's on there right now for 59.99 with free shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by classic.rocker978

This kid is really into firearms, I'd like to get him a pretty decent .22lr scope. Nothing real high dollar, preferably something fixed 4x I doubt you ever... EVER need more than 4x with a .22lr
    I don't know about that, I've got 8-32x variables on all of mine.

Are there any decent scopes under 100 bucks that will hold their zero and not look retarded on a .22lr lever action?

Would these hold a reliable zero on a .22lr? If it gets bumped a little bit is it reliable?

He shoots a lot of squirrels and I want to get him an accurate .22lr scope. I hate seeing bad shots and animals suffering, even if it is just a squirrel. So I'd like a reasonably accurate scope for him that holds zero. Thats one reason I'm going fixed 4x (Less to go wrong).

The first scope I ever bought was a Wal-Mart $39 Simmons 3-9x32 for a Ruger 10/22. Nice glass and accurate for the 25 yard target shooting I used it for. Perfect size for a little lever rifle. That was probably 15 years ago, still have the scope on a Remington 30.06. If you're looking for cheap, I'd have to recommend this scope....no idea what the current pricing may be.

Unbiased AR15, Barnard, BAT, Borden, Browning, Kelbly, Marsh, Nesika Bay, Remington, Ruger, Savage, Ultralight Arms owner. I like 'em all.