Thread: Phoenix Gunsmith

Big Smitty

Phoenix Gunsmith

Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith that knows how to work on Savage rifles in the Phoenix, AZ area. I am looking for someone to help me out and have had bad experiences with gunsmith's in the past. I would like a recommendation if anyone has one. Thanks!

The first Savage project I am working on is a 110 in 300 Win Mag and I am done except headspacing. I bought a go guage and am leery of my skills and want a gunsmith to help me. Sounds simple, but the belted magnum is a little different to headspace and I need help or someone to walk me through it.

ellobo

Re: Phoenix Gunsmith

Screw the barrel in until it seats on the belt. Then tighten the barrel nut. It will back the barrel out a few thousandths. That should do it. Check with the headspace guage.

El Lobo

Big Smitty

So, I have the ejector off the bolt head, put the go guage on the bolt and close it, screw in the barrel until it seats on the belt (won't turn anymore) and then tighten the the barrel nut and that is it. Should I use a barrel vise or a action wrench to hold things? I have read to tighten th barrel nut to 30 ft lbs and to also use anti seize on the barrel threads and the barrel nut threads. Is that it?

Nefarioud

there doesn't really seem to be a set way

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,21798.0.html

Seems like people have several ways of doing it that all work.

I'm in Prescott, but I travel to phoenix on business every other weekend, if you want a second set of eyes on the deal PM me and I'll be glad to have you come by where I'm working and I'll take a look. I'm not a gunsmith. I have done several swaps including 300WM and haven't blown myself or anyone else up yet.