Thread: Recoil lug options for Axis/Edge?

Kinetik1

Recoil lug options for Axis/Edge?

As many of you know, the Axis has a different type recoil lug than the 110. I am making a benchrest/varmint type stock for my Axis w/ a custom barrel sometime soon.
    So, should I just try to bed the original recoil lug in the stock, or have a recoil lug made that fits on the barrel like the 110 and fills the void in the action where the factory lug went??

Thanks for any input,
    Kent

Team Savage

Re: Recoil lug options for Axis/Edge?

I would just bed the original lug.

82boy

The Axis/Edge uses the same lug as a 110 the difference is they cut the loop off of it, and it engages the action through a slit cut in the bottom. A Savage recoil lug will not match up with your stock, it will sit farther forward. If you using the factory Edge stock I guess I would use the factory lug.

jlang11

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but couldnt the lug be welded in place to the action?

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by jlang11
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but couldnt the lug be welded in place to the action?
    I guess so. Mausers have there recoil lugs permitly attached to the actions.

JReed

I imagine it could be welded. If so would these then fit in a 10/110 stock?

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by JReed
    If so would these then fit in a 10/110 stock?
    Nope, not even close.

Kinetik1

jlang11: I haven't thought of welding in the lug, thanks for the idea!

@82boy, I think you misunderstood a little. I'm building/making my own benchrest stock. Scrapping the plastic stock, and inletting on a mill. I also have access to a machine shop. So I will be making either lug "type" mentioned. I prefer the 110 type lug b/c it stays on the action and I think it would be easier to bed that way verses bedding a lug that stays in the stock.
    There should be enough threads on the barrel to accommodate a 110 type lug or ring around the barrel lug, but is there any benefit to a lug that stays in the stock??

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by Kinetik1
    @82boy, I think you misunderstood a little. I'm building/making my own benchrest stock. Scrapping the plastic stock, and inletting on a mill.
    You would be the first to do this, everyone else in the past that has made a "Benchrest stock" has taken the factory stock , and attached wood, and used bondo, to make the stock. I just figured that was what you doing. Good luck

JReed

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    Nope, not even close.
    Are the dimensions of the action that different? I haven't seen an Axis in person to do any comparing.

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    Nope, not even close.
    Are the dimensions of the action that different? I haven't seen an Axis in person to do any comparing.
    The dimensions are completely different, The Edge/Axis is in between a long and a short action in length. The trigger assembly is a mix match of aluminum, and plastic that is held in by a spring and a roll pin, the Axis doesn't have a rear tang, and the trigger group makes up the rear tang. The set up floats around untill secured by the rear action screw. (Changing timming) The Axis use s a complete different bolt set up closer to the new 220 shot guns than a 110. The Axis has a different bolt handle and doesn't have a rear baffle like a 110.

To put it another way the two rifles are as different as a Savage 110 and a SKS.

JReed

Thanks Patrick.
    As I said I haven't seen one in person so all I know about them is what is online.