Thread: A question for 10FCP-k owners

MikeinGBWI

A question for 10FCP-k owners

Greetings all.
    I just took delivery of a new model 10FCP-K. I spent an hour inspecting it for form and function. What a deal Savage has going on this rifle. A day later, I am still grinning ear to ear.
    OK, my question is how did Savage set the torque on the accuwedge? When viewing the rifle from the bottom, I can only count three screws. The rear screw for the trigger guard, the middle screw under the bolt release for the action, and the front screw near the mag release for the action. I expected to see a fourth forward of my previously mentioned "front" screw that fastens the accuwedge. I see a round spot in the molding that appears to be in the correct place for the screw, about an eighth inch in front of the forward action screw, but it is not opened up to access the accuwedge screw.
    I am positive that this is an accustock. Through the DBM well and by looking past the barrel I can see the aluminum bedding block not to mention that I had to remove two "accustock" stickers from the rifle.
    Did Savage make a change for 2011 that I was not aware of, or is this a normal situation that requires me to drill out the stock to gain access?

Thanks in advance for any and all help with this.
    MikeinGBWI

L.H. Clark

Re: A question for 10FCP-k owners

Hey man, welcome to the site and congratulations!! Nice rifle for sure. DO NOT drill the stock. I believe the accuwedge is adjusted with the action out of the stock. I am unaware as I have never owned one but I think any drilling of a new rifle is a mistake. That just don't sound right. I am sure someone with much more knowledge than I will pipe up soon, but I wanted you to know that we are reading and listening.........

L.H. Clark

MikeinGBWI

Thanks for the welcome.
    I agree that drilling the stock would be a bad idea, unless I needed to for removal/adjustment purposes.
    I found a thread, http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=230783, that has photos of the rifle with the action separated from the stock. In one of the pictures, you can clearly see the accuwedge screw position. As I stated, on my rifle there is a circular mold line in about the exact location that the screw should be. I wonder if I do not have the accuwedge as it is not installed anymore? I believe that it was Bodywerks that has stated several times that the wedge is a PITA to get and keep adjusted. Maybe Savage agrees and eliminated it?

MikeinGBWI

Basic Member

I read a article somewhere that Savage has done away with the Accu Wedge.
    Proud Member<br />EOD Master Blaster&#39;s

bodywerks

Sounds like you got one of the new ones. I, too, have heard they were &#39;updating&#39; the accustock and believe that ditching that wedge was part of it. I own two fcp-k&#39;s so I am familiar with them.

MikeinGBWI

So, I guess I get to dismantle the rifle and find out what is new and improved (or not). This forum can expect a report on my findings. I wish that I had an "old" version for side by side comparisons. The interweb will help with that, I suppose. I need to contact Savage to get the proper tightening sequence and torque values before I disassemble anything.
    Savage should have updated their owners manual to reflect the change. But, in my experiences, each department of a company works at a different pace, so I&#39;m sure it will happen eventually.
    This puts my mind at ease. I do not have to worry about having a manufacturing flaw any longer.

Thanks for all the input. A great forum group, indeed.
    MikeinGBWI

NoviceFCP

Per Savage Tech Services, American Rifleman (July 2009) article, and numerous other magazine articles, there are only three screws in an Accustock. The two traditional action screws, now at 4.400" spacing, fore and aft of the trigger, and the third Accuwedge screw forward of action.

Per Savage Tech Services, the torquing procedure is as follows:

Reference the screws numbered from the front Accuwedge screw as #1 to the rear most screw numbered as #3.....for those somewhat challenged, the middle screw is numbered #2. :) :)

Torque each screw in numerical order....#1, #2, #3....from front to rear, to just lightly snug....don&#39;t hamfist it!!!!!.....to just orient everything.
    Then, torque each screw to 40in-lb....Yes, you need an in-lb torgue wrench.....your hands are not calibrated......in the following order: #2 middle screw; #3 rear most screw; and, finally #1 the fore most Accuwedge screw. You&#39;re done.

There is an extraordinarily well presented article with great pics covering the, then new, 10FCP-K including the AccuStock in the www.1911Forum.com in Long Arms section posted 4-14-2009 by Max100