Thread: 6.5 MPC for new barrel?

brianinca

6.5 MPC for new barrel?

So I've been thinking hard about a 260 Rem barrel for my 308 FP10, and I run across the 6.5 MPC which is a blown out 223. Good with 120 gr SMK's, which would of course work OK with 260 Rem as well.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of loud clash, crash & bang out on the intertubes about this round. Anyone play with it? I searched "6.5 MPC" and got no results here.

Regards,
    Brian in CA

Eric in NC

Re: 6.5 MPC for new barrel?

what is different from the 6.5 tcu? the tcu's are great rounds. just seat the bullet into the lands when fire forming and everything else is easy.

sinman

sounds like another wildcat that is just a tad different than another round. why not 6.5x47?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by sinman
    sounds like another wildcat that is just a tad different than another round. why not 6.5x47?
    If you are going to do that, go back to the old school and hit up the 6.5X55 Svede....

I have seen a little about the MPC. Looks like it would be a little fun, but not really fast enough to justify using those super high B.C. bullets. IMO, if I got a good deal on a MPC barrel I would play with it, but I am not going to spend $$$$ on a custom barrel. I would take the X47 or 260 cause they do the same thing as the MPC, and more.

http://www.sskindustries.com/6_5mpc.htm
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/r...s-6-5-mpc.html
    A little reading for you.....
    &quot;If you don&#39;t have me on tape, then I didn&#39;t do it.&quot;<br />-Rumored to own a few, various firearms.

brianinca

Thanks, all, I did read the SSK blurb and I do know their history (very impressive). The advantage I see is that the 223&#39;s I have need no alteration for conversion, other than a barrel. Similar to the 260 Rem in my 308. I have FP10-LE1A&#39;s (20" with Choate UV&#39;s) in both 223 and 308. My intent with the pair was get a cheap to shoot rifle that is identical to a more expensive to shoot rifle; seems to me I can continue the theme with a 6.5 MPC/260 Rem combo. The only real savings is in buying 120 gr SMK&#39;s in bulk and using less powder, but that&#39;s the rationale I hear behind the 20 Tactical vs. the 204 Ruger (ad nauseum).

Since I reload for both already anyway, just looking to expand my horizons.

Regards,
    Brian in CA

Eric in NC

Ok - looked up the MPC vs. the TCU. The MPC is based on a cut off (shorter) and blown out 223 (so OAL will still let it work through AR mags).

Don&#39;t go with that (lower capacity and velocity). Look at the TCU - lots of cheap dies and all you need to do is run 223 brass (works A LOT better with new brass than once fired) through the die to form.

brianinca

>>>>
    Look at the TCU
    >>>>

THANK you! That&#39;s what I needed to know.

Regards,
    Brian in CA

Eric in NC

Let me know if you end up pursuing it - I have some hints/tips things that will save you trouble.

I have played with the 6, 6.5 and 7mm TCU and currently have a 7mm TCU on a Stevens 200 action.

The 6.5 is the least common and least supported (as far as dies) of the bunch but all are great little cartridges.