Thread: tupperware stock ?

Basic Member

tupperware stock ?

can someone point me to the threads about stiffing them?

us920669

Re: tupperware stock ?

What kind of a thread is that - about making them more rigid? Better yet, what exactly is a Tupperware stock? I don't even know.

Basic Member

"Tupperware" refers to the factory Savage/Stevens synthetic stocks. As to stiffening them, I believe the general consensus is that nothing really works all that well as they flex through the action/ wrist area and you can't do much there.
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

Basic Member

i see people talk about these threads but have never seen one myself.

There probably old enough to be long buried now. Key stock, engine push rode and many other things have been epoxied in to the forend cavity to eliminate some flex.You wind up with $30- more into the stock that could have gone into a replacement.
    It helps with freehand shooting. It's not strong enough in most cases to cover the torque a bipod will put on it.

Looks like there is one going on right under our noses http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...html#msg275335
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

racinready300ex

I stiffened mine up pretty good. I ran an piece of wood from the front of the forearm to the just before the trigger gaurd. It's 3" wide in front and tapers in the middle of the stock. Then I ran a piece of trim down both sides. Screwed everything together then fiberglassed it, and painted it. This added alot of weight to the gun, which was fine with me as it's meant to be a bench gun.

It's still doesn't track like I'd like, I may do another one and see if I can do a better job with what I learned the first time. Or I may just buy a real benchrest stock.

The gun has some lead (I'd guess 1-2 lbs) in the stock, and wieghts in at 16.3 lbs with a 26" varmint wieght barrel. And shoots 3" groups at 600 yards.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo299/Asynjor469/Gun1.jpg[/img]

that is a mod I have always wanted to try just for something to do other then watch TV
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

I stiffened my first one up quite a bit by using 3/8" square key stock in the forend. What seemed to make the difference was that I drilled into the area below/behind the recoil lug all the way back to the front pillar and epoxied the key stock in. Since I was making a single-shot bench/varmint gun, I epoxied a piece of 1/8" flat bar to the bottom and sides of the magazine well. Added a bunch of weight - it's at about 14.5# now.

I did one for my son-in-law and used aluminum tub instead of the key stock. Not as heavy and it still stiffened it up.
    12 FLV 204 Ruger

Basic Member

I took a carbon arrow and inlet the stock back to the pillar and filled it in with bondo and wrapped everything with fiberglass. You can fill and sand to the shape you want!

[img width=600 height=448]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l238/jglover_81/IMG_20101103_194548.jpg[/img]

[img width=597 height=450]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l238/jglover_81/IMG_20101223_125024.jpg[/img]
    Silence is golden.... duct tape is silver!!

Basic Member

DO YOU HAVE TO USE THE FIBER GLASS OR CAN YOU JUST USE BONDO?

68injunhed

I would think that the repeated abuse of recoil would cause plain bondo to fail and fall out without the support of the fiberglass wrap. I guess a second option would be to use the bondo that is infused with glass fiber, I've heard it called "kitty hair", although I don't know if that is a name brand or not.

I used the "rods epoxied into the inside" technique, and it really took out the flimsy, "twisty" feeling the forend had. I used 3/16" titanium, since it was free to me, very light, and quite strong. I also further plan to drill two 3/16" holes back towards the front pillar area, and insert two more 3/16" titanium rods there as well, leaving a little to extend into that last reservoir where the recoil lug sits, and tie all that together to stiffen it up some more, although I think that's about all you can do internally. I'll wall off the area where the recoil lug is first.

I will say that the rods along with filling in the bottom section of the forend with epoxy added a noticeable amount of weight. I like it though, I thought it was a little light in the front to begin with. Feels more like my Vanguard now.

Basic Member

Bondo is just filler. The fiberglass cloth & resin is what provides the "strength".

Basic Member

Gotcha kinda figured as much. I have me rifle at the Smiths so Iam stuck with a tupper stock that I want to work on.

racinready300ex

I used the Bondo-glass, that has fiberglass mixed in to add strength. Then went over the hole stock with plain bondo, then sanded and painted. Holding up so far, I have 3-400 rounds down range with this set up. It's only a 6BR, not much recoil there.