Thread: Measuring/Trimming Brass

sauced10

Measuring/Trimming Brass

What tools are needed? I'm shooting a 30 cal.

dcloco

Re: Measuring/Trimming Brass

Case trimmers and dial caliper (or electronic).

I prefer the Forster case trimmers. With ANY of the brands, when you buy everything you actually need to trim a variety of cases, the Forster does as good of job as any of them and does not break the bank as you add accessories.

Forster also allows outside neck turning as well.

gotcha

Sauced, Like dcloco I've got the forster set-up. I reload a lot of cartridges both rifle & pistol. The nature of your question suggests you're new to reloading which can require a substantial $$ outlay. I got started w/ the Lee zip trim tool, very inexpensive & doesn't require a caliper tho' I'd suggest you get one for numerous other measurements you'll need to make. A small outlay for trimming a single .30 cal. could allow you to buy other needs. Just a suggestion Check out the Lee precision web site. You may also want to check Mfgs like RCBS, Redding, Lee & Lyman for starter kits that include press, scale, powder meas. & trimmer etc. Don't hesitate to ask lots of questions. The guys here are always happy to help!! Dale

+2 on the Forster, been using mine since 1968. Cutter has been replaced five times now but the basic setup has given me zero problems all these years.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

I like the forester for simplicity and cost. now it your looking at making 30 Herrett I would look at a RCBS power trimmer!
    Digital calipers are great! easy to read and you can zero in the middle and + or - faster then a dial if your not practiced with a dial.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

sauced10

Quote Originally Posted by gotcha
    Sauced, Like dcloco I've got the forster set-up. I reload a lot of cartridges both rifle & pistol. The nature of your question suggests you're new to reloading which can require a substantial $$ outlay. I got started w/ the Lee zip trim tool, very inexpensive & doesn't require a caliper tho' I'd suggest you get one for numerous other measurements you'll need to make. A small outlay for trimming a single .30 cal. could allow you to buy other needs. Just a suggestion Check out the Lee precision web site. You may also want to check Mfgs like RCBS, Redding, Lee & Lyman for starter kits that include press, scale, powder meas. & trimmer etc. Don't hesitate to ask lots of questions. The guys here are always happy to help!! Dale
    Thanks

I bought a Lee breech lock challenger kit which supposely has everything I need... I also got a Lee Case Length Gauge. I'm sure I'll have more questions once I'm all set UP.

sauced10

It looks like I need a headspace gauge as well. Any recommendations or tricks? :)

gotcha

sauced10, uh oh, you opened a BIG can of worms on this one! Go to Savage 110-based centerfire rifle page & chk 2nd thread down. "headspace" by: possum1. I'm assuming you're going to install a new bbl. My advise would be to use the hd space go-gauge....... then, w/ tape of a known thickness applied to the end of the gauge use as a no-go gauge. Your tape should be between .001" & .002". ( I may get a lot of flak here) Congratulations on your new equip. and welcome to the barrel nuts! Do yourself a favor & sprout $12.00 for a membership. You won't regret. Then you can access TONS of info on scope mounting, bedding, mods etc. plus the advertizing section. You got your toe in the water...... time to go for a dip ;D You may also find members living near you that would be willing to help out, that already have the tools for a bbl. swap. Good shootin', Dale

Basic Member

i think he may be talking about measuring to where his lands start. if so just take empty case and split the neck on it, then place the bullet that you intend to load in the split case and load it. that should give you your lands depth for that particular bullet.

sauced10

Quote Originally Posted by gotcha
    sauced10, uh oh, you opened a BIG can of worms on this one! Go to Savage 110-based centerfire rifle page & chk 2nd thread down. "headspace" by: possum1. I'm assuming you're going to install a new bbl. My advise would be to use the hd space go-gauge....... then, w/ tape of a known thickness applied to the end of the gauge use as a no-go gauge. Your tape should be between .001" & .002". ( I may get a lot of flak here) Congratulations on your new equip. and welcome to the barrel nuts! Do yourself a favor & sprout $12.00 for a membership. You won't regret. Then you can access TONS of info on scope mounting, bedding, mods etc. plus the advertizing section. You got your toe in the water...... time to go for a dip ;D You may also find members living near you that would be willing to help out, that already have the tools for a bbl. swap. Good shootin', Dale
    I'll get a membership :)

Its a new savage rifle with the stock barrel. I was talking about my brass resizing.

Basic Member

Are u gonna full length resize or just neck size? If full length resizing it makes the brass factory specs, if necksizing just use the case that was fired in it.

sauced10

Quote Originally Posted by keeki
    Are u gonna full length resize or just neck size? If full length resizing it makes the brass factory specs, if necksizing just use the case that was fired in it.
    I have the Lee die kit that has a full length resize and I have lee case length gauge that attachs to the cutter.

Basic Member

you should be good to go. just set it up like the directions say and go to resizing. theres several posts on here on how to figure the distance to the lands.

sauced10

Quote Originally Posted by keeki
    you should be good to go. just set it up like the directions say and go to resizing. theres several posts on here on how to figure the distance to the lands.
    thanks