Thread: Selecting Nikon Prostaff for 223

Garyoutlaw

Selecting Nikon Prostaff for 223

I just bought my 1st new Savage edge in 223 and want to upgrade the scope. I like the Nikon Prostaff line of optics but would like a camo model to match the rig - I have found some great deals on ebay for the rimfire 6316 in 4 x 32 but wonder how that will work for short (100-200 yard) Coyote work or go with a 3-9x40 and pay to have it camo dipped ... Any advice would be great Thanks

helotaxi

Re: Selecting Nikon Prostaff for 223

What camo pattern is on the Axis/Edge Camo? The Prostaff is available in Realtree APG. The Coyote Special is available in Advantage Max and Mossy Oak Brush.

snipecatcher

In my mind a 4x scope is ideal for 300 yards and under. The 4x32 Prostaff would be a good scope.

MikeinGBWI

Greetings.
    Something to consider about the rimfire scope is that it might be parallax adjusted for 50 yards. This may pose a problem at the ranges you mentioned. My rimfire scopes have proven to be unusable at more than about 150 yards due in part to the lack of clarity. You may want to hunt down the manufacturing specifications to make sure that is not the case.

Garyoutlaw

Quote Originally Posted by helotaxi
    What camo pattern is on the Axis/Edge Camo?
    It came in Realtree Hardwoods so think I'll go with the APG, it would match close enough to make me happy

Basic Member

Gary,

I'd also take a look at the Vortex Viper 2-7x32 at SWFA $170 (discounted 50%), Camera Land may have it on sale as well. It has fine glass, bullet proof life time transferable warranty, will handle the recoil (no doubt what so ever) and it's calibrated for a 223 ---->

•100 to 400 yards Bullet drop precisely calculated to compensate for the elliptic drop of a 50, 55 & 62 grain .223 bullet.

or the Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50 $99 (cheaper), not the class of the Viper and a little more magnification than you need, but still a fine scope with good glass.

You can get some Krylon paint it any color you want.....

helotaxi

I have one of each of those Vortex scopes. Both are nice for what they are, but I wouldn't consider the 6-24x50 for coyote hunting. Way too much magnification.

I wouldn't ever paint a scope with Krylon. Especially not one I gave a rat's butt about.

Cycler

The ProStaff 4X is very clear but is indeed a "rimfire" scope and, as such, is parallax adjusted to 50 yards. That's great for short range work but not ideal for a long range centerfire. Go with the 3-9 ProStaff.