Thread: savage striker

Basic Member

savage striker

I am looking to build a striker for s&g.. I know I will probably have to buy a target action for this build but.. I was wondering what my limits as far as caliber selection would be with those actions??

looking somewhere in the .308 range but don't want to count out the wsm's any help would great be appreciated

Re: savage striker

There is no caliber limit...

You need to order an "undesignated" action. You can get them from Savage, but I believe Northlander had some at one time as well. Dont know if he still does or not, but sure he could get one.

Put a muzzlebrake on it too.

You could keep an eye out for a Striker being sold, and use that action for your build. I'd check Gunbroker to see if anything pops up.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

any caliber that can be built on the rifles can be built for the handgun. I have .416 Taylor and 7mm rem mag barrels set up for mine. It dose not have to be a target action, just an un-designate one. You may prefer a large brake on some like the 470 chapstick
    Most any empty case will eject from a short action, you have to release the bolt and pull it back farther to get long loaded rounds out.

McGowen has a discount program for Pistol barrels. (lets them use up short stock)
    rifle barrels can be cut down.

Joel Russo http://www.russoriflestocks.com/ and Tony Gettel http://www.tonysforendsandgrips.net/ are 2 guys I know of making stocks.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

CaptnDan

I shot the Blue Avenger's 7mm....put's a real grin on your face! Not sure I want to try the 416?!
    I have 7mm barrel for mine that I have not yet fired...shoot the 308 often....lot's of fun!

Captn

he's back! how the heck are ya!?
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

CaptnDan

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    he's back! how the heck are ya!?
    Just as bad as ever my friend.....decided to dust off the savages.

OMG!!!! The Capn' has returned!!!

Hope all is well sir!

CaptnDan

Quote Originally Posted by trappst
    OMG!!!! The Capn' has returned!!!

Hope all is well sir!
    All is well Trappst; hope the same is true for you!

Tough starting with zero posts, however.

you were still in the top 10 until the big spam attack and all old members that had not been on for a couple years were dropped

CaptnDan

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    you were still in the top 10 until the big spam attack and all old members that had not been on for a couple years were dropped
    Just gotta work my way back up :-)

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by brianlt21
    I am looking to build a striker for s&g.. I know I will probably have to buy a target action for this build but.. I was wondering what my limits as far as caliber selection would be with those actions??

looking somewhere in the .308 range but don't want to count out the wsm's any help would great be appreciated
    Waiting for a stock to be carved now. Sinn Arms barrel arrived yesterday. Had a ffl order an action from the custom shop. It is a left/hand left port blue #12 action with det/mag. It was cheaper than the target action.

I called two vendors that I've done business with, they didn't think savage offered one in left hand 12 model, spoke with Effie Sullivan and she said, no problem, "what kind of left hand action can we make you?" Got here in 4 weeks and she knew what to do regarding the atf regs.

Man that is great. You went the route I would take if I did not use a striker action with the left hand action. Can I ask how much the action was? What calibur did you go with?

tinkerer

See NSS ad here. My last one was $375 plus.

Larry
    Tinkerer

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowgetter1
    Man that is great. You went the route I would take if I did not use a striker action with the left hand action. Can I ask how much the action was? What calibur did you go with?
    pm sent .223 to start, may be a 6mm later using the same bolt head.

powerpoint

Picked up my Savage Striker today! Chambered in 30 Bellm, w/brake.

Does anyone have experience and/or advice about a Striker chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor? A friend of mine has asked me to inquire at this web site. He was thinking about building on a T/C Encore platform,but I suggested a bolt action type pistol instead. Thanks to all who answer.