Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning Brass

Basic Member

Re: Cleaning Brass

Tried the wax scrub... nice.

Worked during college in a musical instrument repair shop, mostly brass and silver fabrication, shaping, buffing and finishing. Some brasses work harden quickly from contact with mandrel or hammer or manipulation or buffing. Have seen some high end instruments quickly fissure crack.

After trying the polish and corncob, may try some shaved Tripoli buffing compound into the cob mixture. Rouge is a great finish compound but requires degreasing.

R1

Wash with hot soapy water after resizing, rinse, and allow to dry. Soak in Iosso liquid cleaner for a couple of minutes, rinse and let dry. Polish with corncob media/Iosso polish for about an hour. Brass will look like new.

Woodser

WOW! I thought I was the only reloader on the planet that used hot water, dish soap and lemon juice to clean his cases. I dry my cases in a electric skillet set on the lowest setting, too. Takes about 1/2 hour instead of the 24 hours air drying takes.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Woodser
    WOW! I thought I was the only reloader on the planet that used hot water, dish soap and lemon juice to clean his cases. I dry my cases in a electric skillet set on the lowest setting, too. Takes about 1/2 hour instead of the 24 hours air drying takes.
    Can I get some bacon with those shells??...... :D

I use Lemi Shine from wallysworld. Powder dishwasher cleaner/aditive, table spoon to a bowl and set for 15-20 min. Gets them nice & clean.

Doug B.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric in NC
    With what you are doing your brass is getting clean just not "shiny". All good except "looks pretty". Everyone knows shiny brass shoots better though.

To get it shiny you need some kind of liquid polish (any will do).
    I don't agree. Polishes with ammonia WILL eventually harm the brass. Nu Finish does not contain ammonia.

JCalhoun

Most all chemical cleaners (including home brews) will contain either an acid or an alkyline substance as it's active incredient. Both will eventually damage the brass.

The only ways to clean and polish brass will be with abrasives (removes material physically) or corrosives (removes material chemically).

The question is how much can you do before the case is damaged beyond use?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12