Thread: New Accustock Model 16 Coming- Some Questions

Cycler

New Accustock Model 16 Coming- Some Questions

I just ordered a new Model 16 left-handed Accustock in .243W and it should delivered in a few days. I've owned other Model 110 variations including currently an Accutrigger Model 16 in 7 mm-08 but this will be my first Accustock action and stock experience so I have a few questions:

1. SSS offers a barrel nut wrench for the new design smooth nut. How well do these work? I assume the older style action wrench still works, does it?
    2. I believe a barrel from an older action will fit the new action (same shank size of course) right?
    3. Do the current wood or laminated wood stocked Savage (say the Model 14 as an example) rifles use the "Accustock" action even if they don't have the aluminum bedding channel?
    4. Are there aftermarket recoil lugs for the Accustock actions like there were for the older design?
    5. I've seen the "sticky" describing how to install and torque the Accustock action but are there any other tricks I should know?

Thanks for any help.

82boy

Re: New Accustock Model 16 Coming- Some Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Cycler
    1. SSS offers a barrel nut wrench for the new design smooth nut. How well do these work? I assume the older style action wrench still works, does it?
    The new SSS barrel wrench works well. The old style wrench will not work as it goes into groves cut into the barrel nut, something that was eliminated with the smooth nut on the accu-stock guns.

2. I believe a barrel from an older action will fit the new action (same shank size of course) right?
    Yes.

3. Do the current wood or laminated wood stocked Savage (say the Model 14 as an example) rifles use the "Accustock" action even if they don't have the aluminum bedding channel?
    Nope. The accu-stock action has the bolt release in the trigger guard, and deleting the flag on the side of the action, the action is round, and is not cut for the bolt release/cocking indicator.

4. Are there aftermarket recoil lugs for the Accustock actions like there were for the older design?
    Nope, they are shorter and smaller.

5. I've seen the "sticky" describing how to install and torque the Accustock action but are there any other tricks I should know?
    If you get one of the older model accu-stock take it apart and throw away the accu-wedge, It took Savage a couple of years to figure out that this was a bad idea, and the new productions have eliminated it.

Cycler

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    The new SSS barrel wrench works well. The old style wrench will not work as it goes into groves cut into the barrel nut, something that was eliminated with the smooth nut on the accu-stock guns.
    Thanks for all of your answers. I know the new barrel nut uses a different nut wrench. What I was wondering is does the new action use the same ACTION wrench as the older models.

82boy

Yes

Cycler

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    If you get one of the older model accu-stock take it apart and throw away the accu-wedge, It took Savage a couple of years to figure out that this was a bad idea, and the new productions have eliminated it.
    Sorry I didn't ask for clarification earlier. The sticky from Chris Bezzina at Savage discusses loosening the accu-wedge bolt as part of the stock installation but never mentions tightening it. Did the older stocks just leave that bolt loose? Since my rifle is going to be brand new it might not have the wedge at all. How does this modify the instructions?