Thread: Which model base ?.....and one or two piece ?

IKE

Which model base ?.....and one or two piece ?

Good morning,

Well I finally took the plunge and I'll be picking up my first Savage rifle later this week, I'm a blue & wood sort of guy so it's a Savage Classic 14 chambered in 7mm-08 with the hinged floor plate as opposed to magazine.

I've read the bases are different on some Savage models because of the receivers being flat or round but I don't see any reference to that in any of the catalogs I have on hand. ? ?

I "believe" I want either a Leupold or Burris (not fond of Weaver) blue one piece dual dovetail with med. heigth rings, can someone give me a model number for the base on my new rifle ?

The reason I said "believe" is that I've also been kicking around my first two piece dual dovetail base. All my other rifles wear one piece dual dovetail bases and I can see where the pro on the two piece is ease of loading.....what's eveybody's opinion on one piece vs two piece bases ?

Thank you........Ike

Re: Which model base ?.....and one or two piece ?

Just my opinion of course but, I'd recommend the EGW one piece Picatinney style base. The multiple slots give you adjustment options for the shorter tube scopes on the market. I'd also recommend windage adjustable rings so you can save your scopes internal adjustments. Check Brownell's or Midway for the base and rings. The EGW base can also be ordered directly from their web site.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Not a fan of dove tailed bases. I too would recommend a one piece Picatinney style base, Ken Farrell, EGW, Badger etc. My 10FP wears a 20MOA Farrell and TPS tactical rings, but you can also use the Burris Zee rings on these bases. Much stronger more reliable mounting system.

huntin1

tbartley

Quote Originally Posted by huntin1
    Not a fan of dove tailed bases. I too would recommend a one piece Picatinney style base, Ken Farrell, EGW, Badger etc. My 10FP wears a 20MOA Farrell and TPS tactical rings, but you can also use the Burris Zee rings on these bases. Much stronger more reliable mounting system.

huntin1
    +1 except my 10FP has Burris XTR's on top of the Farrell 20MOA. I line my XTRs with black electrical tape the width of the ring to save tube. Good luck.