Thread: Scope Mounts for Model 12 F/TR?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    DougG

Scope Mounts for Model 12 F/TR?

I'm a newbie buying gear for participation in F/TR. I've got most of the shopping list ticked off, but a few items remain, including scope base and rings. I hear a 20 MOA ramp is a good idea for long range, but after that I'm lost. One piece, two piece, manufacturer X,Y, or Z, and so on. I'd like something to fit a 30mm tube on a Bushnell Elite 6500. Quality without going nuts would be nice too. Any thoughts?

Senderofan

Re: Scope Mounts for Model 12 F/TR?

There are a lot of really high quality products out there...certainly ones with big price tags as well. Having been in your position recently...I purchased a Ferrell 20 m.o.a one piece base from SSS..about $70-$80 with shipping...They are a sponsor of this board. It might simply be a myth...but supposedly a one piece might add structural rigidity to the action.

As far as rings...stay with bigger names...try not to skimp too much...you don't want to mess up your tube with ill fitting rings. I've got LEupold QRW's on one...NightForce Aluminum on another....and some higher end Burris on a couple.

Good Luck,

Wayne

Id get a Ken Farrell or EGW 20moa 1 pc base(Farrell from Sharpshooter Supply/EGW from MidwayUSA). The Farrels are steel and cost around $80. The EGW are aluminum and cost $40.

For rings I use exclusively Burris Signature Zee rings. They have inserts so they dont scratch the scope tube, and also come with "offset" inserts to add or deduct some MOA form your current setup. You can get these from various places, including the 2 mentioned above that have the bases. Cost for these are around $40-50.

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

DougG

Thanks. The Farrel/Burris combo sounds good, particularly the ability to protect the scope ring.

Quote Originally Posted by pdog06
    Farrels are steel and cost around $80. The EGW are aluminum and cost $40.

For rings I use exclusively Burris Signature Zee rings.
    Here is my Savage 12-F/TR scoped out with Burris Signature Zee Rings and Burris Extreme Steel Tactical Bases, (Also steel but only $19.99 from Midway). I'm lovin' the Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical Scope as well.

Here She Is

[img width=600 height=450]http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/6692/savage12ftr013sz3.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/7352/savage12ftr003kp9.jpg[/img]
    We are lending money we don't have, to kids who can't pay it back, to train them for jobs that no longer exist.

Remember with the Burris Signature Zee Rings you can order the Posi-Align offset inserts and dial in any incline on your scope you want. They are simply the best, most versatile rings made today. Those who knock them simply haven't tried them. Bill T.
    We are lending money we don't have, to kids who can't pay it back, to train them for jobs that no longer exist.

JCalhoun

Doug;

How far will you be shooting? If not more than 600y you may not need a tapered base.

DougG

I will distance challenged in the Seattle area, but will be willing travel occasionally to ranges with 1000 yds. So I would rather equip the rifle with full F/TR capability even if little used.

JCalhoun

You'll need 35 to 40 moa of elevation at 1000y using a 100y zero.