Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bolt Handles (new pics on page 3)

Bolt Handles (new pics on page 3)

I got some free time with the CNC Lathe and decided to make my own 110 BA styled Tactical Bolt Handles. They are about the same length as an SSS Tactical Handle and about the same weight as a standard Savage BT handle. I personally like the good grasp I get from them and I think they look pretty good. I made them from a couple of old Savage Sporter handles I had extra, by using the factory handles as donors. As far as installation it was pretty much just -cut off the old handle - drill out the old handle base - remove burrs - glue in the new handle shaft with red loc-tite. I tell you what, that CNC can crank 'em out in no time.

[img width=337 height=450]http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx111/bootsmcguire/bolthandles.jpg[/img]

From top to bottom
    Savage BT Handle
    SSS Stainless Tactical Handle
    My Custom Handle (2nd design)
    My Custom Handle (prototype)

Both my handles are made from Cold Rolled Steel and still in the white.
    I would have taken more pictures but my camera crapped out after this one.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

blue

Re: Bolt Handles

really nice work, looks great

Thanks blue, I may have to make just a FEW more of these .
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

How do I go about getting a couple? ;D

+1 what would it take to get a couple.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by mkf350
    Fellows, sales outside the classified section is prohibited.

Guys, 82boy is right. Now that I see there is a need for them, I may make some extra and post them in the classifed section. Give me some time on that for some schedualing. Any thoughts or suggestions on the handles themselves? They are a D.I.Y. thing that requires a donor sporter handle.

Sounds good. Might I suggest the grooves in the handle be cut just a bit shallower? Might be easier on the fingers yet still give a good grip.

Tom

NeverNoLuck

Varget 7-08

I hope you get to sell some! I'm interested

can you post a picture how the look in a rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by mkf350
    Fellows, sales outside the classified section is prohibited.
    Who said anything about paying for them...

Aircraftmech76

I agree with the shallower grooves in the handle. I would also like to see one without grooves. Good job with posting the pics showing the bolt handles next to each other; gives a benchmark for comparison.

Kevin

Wow. Alot of interest in these. I am a little suprised to be honest, but I guess I shouldn't be. I am gonna do some checking on a few things before I dive in here, don't wanna get in trouble in any way . Thanks for the input guys, no grooves would not be a problem or shallow grooves either. I orginally thought about using aluminum instead of steel to save weight but steel turned out to be about the same as a BT handle and steel is alot cheaper. I will see where this road takes me I guess and see what I can come up with.

Keep ideas and preferences comming.

These are a Do It Yourself kinda thing now remember. But all you need is one of the new handles, a donor sporter handle, a drill, and abrasive cutting tool (since the factory handles are surface hard), and some loc-tite. Then just finish however you want, be it paint or duacoat, or blue, or just polish out.

I'll post my progress as I find out how much of a reality I can make this.

Basic Member

Maybe it would be better to thread them instead of gluing them on ...?

ar15kittykat

Quote Originally Posted by Aircraftmech76
    I agree with the shallower grooves in the handle. I would also like to see one without grooves. Good job with posting the pics showing the bolt handles next to each other; gives a benchmark for comparison.

Kevin
    +1, w/o grooves w/ light knurling would be great, similar to Savages' BA110... I'll be interested in a couple... ;D

Quote Originally Posted by dwm
    Maybe it would be better to thread them instead of gluing them on ...?
    Thought about that, but I was a little afraid of tapping on the cast factory handle section, plus I figured not everybody has access to taps, dies, and tap drills. I would hope anybody could go to Lowes and get some loc-tite and already have a vice and 1/4" drill. Plus with the tapping part, those factory handles are suprisingly hard from the factory heat treat, I don't know how a tap would take to that. Red Loc-tite is very strong and I turned the male side of the joint to .251" and drill the hole to .250" so you get a light press fit (since most drill bits end up drilling a .0005" over or so). The two originals I did seem to be very stout so far.

Was also thinking of some Knurling, but I can't do that in the CNC, we've tried before and it never turns out good. That would add an extra step by going over to a manual lathe. Might add some cost, I'll hafta loook into it.

Basic Member

I used to use the green lock-tite for sleeve bearings on heavy duty machinery Caterpillar& Case IH, when you have a snug slip fit, or a decent interference fit, it will do a very good job of holding.

#609,& #645
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

Cover Dog

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop
    Sounds good. Might I suggest the grooves in the handle be cut just a bit shallower? Might be easier on the fingers yet still give a good grip.

Tom
    First thing I thought about when I saw that handle was to slip a couple of rubber "O" rings in the groves. I think that would give a good grip and lessen the sharpness of the grove. I want a couple!

I like the O ring idea. I'll hafta see if I can find some, the edges of the groove are beveled and not too sharp at all. Be a pretty thick o ring since the grooves are about 3/16" wide, but I'll bet there is something out there.

Varget 7-08

Quote Originally Posted by Cover Dog

Tom
    First thing I thought about when I saw that handle was to slip a couple of rubber "O" rings in the groves. I think that would give a good grip and lessen the sharpness of the grove. I want a couple!
    Me too

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by spaz123
    Quote Originally Posted by Cover Dog

Tom
    Me too

You might let us know how the O-rings work out. btw if you want to try some different o-rings, Caterpillar has some silicone o-rings of much larger profiles than the standard Viton/neoprene variety.
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

gotcha

I like the idea! Would prefer a smooth handle similar to the SSS design. Also, how about a stainless offering? Then the user can adjust the finish from high polish all the way back to bead blasted & not fear rust. Variances in body chemistry can play havoc on uncoated steel. Keep the creative juices flowing Boots! You're doing great. Dale

When you have some ready for sale, post them in the classifieds. Looks like you have a promising side job.

82boy

On the factory bolt handles, many have threaded then and not had problems. The problem with threading factory bolt handles is many of them have voids, and if you hit that void they just turn to crap. I Believe that SSS figured the void rate to be 1 in 5. The original SSS bolt handle was a threaded nob on a factory bolt handle. I believe that that is the way that Stockade is still doing them. Actually through the years, they has been several members that have made and sold bolt handles.

Here is a picture of one that a member made for me, (dcloco) he was buying Callahan knobs from Midway when they would go on sale for $5 bucks, and he would turn the knob of the factory bolt handle down with a belt sander, and then thread it with a basic hand tap, he did many like this. They are the same length as the SSS handle, but they are much lighter.
    [img width=600 height=335]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/82boy/IMG_0482.jpg[/img]

There is many company's that sell knobs. (Just Goggle Tactical bolt knob.)
    http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#bolt knobs____-_1-2-4_8-16-32
    http://www.bigrivertactical.com/cata...32/5933264.htm
    http://kmwlrs.com/TacticalBoltHandle.htm
    http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/p.../remington.htm
    http://www.venomtactical.com/f_bolt.php

Here is another picture of a knob that a member sold on this site. This was a Spook handle, he did the same threaded a factory bolt handle, and turned a knob on his lath. The handle was very nice, but even though I requested it to be made out of aluminum, it was very heavy, I would have hatted to see what a steel one weighed. The main thing on these handles is to keep them light, especially with an accu-trigger.

[img width=600 height=326]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/82boy/HPIM1628.jpg[/img]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast