Gents,

I wrenched onto a Savage Model 12 Action, a Shilen barrel in 6.5x55 Swede. (Yes,,,,a long action caliber onto a short action...but it works great!!) Now, the stock on this rifle is a Savage factory laminated, and when I put it together....I initially decided to see how it would shoot before I decided to see if I would bed the stock or not. (This was 2 years ago).

Well, the gun shot one ragged hole ;D so I decided not to bed it. However, this past weekend, our gun club held a "groundhog" shoot (paper targets) and I took the Swede. Now, the temps were the coldest I've shot the rifle at. And my groups opened up to a very disappointing 3.5" to 4" at 300 yards!!

I've determined that the only changed from previous teeny tiny groups is the very cold weather. So, that being the case, and the fact that I'm taking this gun out west this fall to whack (hopefully) an antelope, I was going to simply bed the action. (I've done this before....no big deal)

But....then I began to think (this is where I usually get into trouble) why don't I look into getting an accustock? The new accustocks would be lighter than my existing laminated....plus...no bedding. BTW, my Model 12 is a single shot.

Any thoughts on this??

Thanks in advance for your expert advice.

Dave

However, when